Chapter 51: Just Cedric

Millie looked out over the wedding, sipping her drink with a satisfied smile. All of her friends continued to stare at her as she didn't move. 

"What?" she asked. "Oh, you meant go tell him right now?" 

"Yes!" they all exclaimed. 

"But the wedding!" she added. 

"I give you permission to leave," Ginny laughed. 

Millie giggled and hugged Ginny before running into the house to get her things, all of her friends cheering behind her. She quickly found herself in Bill's room, wand in hand as her clothes and books and jewelry all flew neatly into her trunk. She simultaneously checked her makeup in the mirror, unable to wipe the smile off her face as she thought of what she was about to do.

"You can do this," she said to herself. "It's just Cedric,"

She grabbed the handle of her trunk, took a deep breath, and instantly apparated back to her apartment. Running frantic, she threw her things in her room and sped to the drawer of her nightside table. She rummaged through it and found just what she had been looking for: the little note Cedric had left her one night with his address. "In case you're ever in trouble," he'd said. 

Staring at the note, the neighborhood it was in came floating into her mind. One of her teammates lived in a house a few streets away, so she supposed she could just walk from there. The nerves she'd been avoiding suddenly came swooping through her body as she got ready to apparate. You're really doing this, she thought. 

Millie apparated again, slightly winded as she dropped to the concrete. She walked slowly, almost hesitantly passed a few streets before she came to Cedric's. The side walks were lined with cars all leading up to the big house at the very end of the street. Millie kept going, looking at the lit up, people filled house that she soon determined was Cedric's. There were broomsticks laying on the big front yard, people surrounding the packed house, and the pungent waft of a buffet floating through the air. Confusion struck her, and she was suddenly aware that they were fully having some sort of party. Her eyes went wide and she spun around, attempting to walk swiftly in the other direction, but she was stopped.

"Millie?" a voice called. "Millie Barrett?" 

She recognized that voice anywhere. 

"Oh my- Matt!" she cried, turning around to see the tall, lanky boy she'd known at Hogwarts all grown up in a suit and tie. A wide smile crossed both of their faces as they walked over to each other, hugging quickly before pulling back in shock. "I haven't seen you in forever!"

"I know!" he exclaimed. "You look great! I've seen you on all those magazine covers, it's so cool knowing someone famous,"

"Oh, please," she chuckled. "I'm so far from famous. But seriously, how are you? What are you doing here?"

"I'm amazing," he smiled. "And I'm here for the party. I didn't realize you and Cedric were still friends,"

"Oh, well not really," she mumbled.

"I'm surprised he invited you to this. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely delighted to see you, it just seems odd,"

"Why does it-" she tried.

"Matt?" a voice came from somewhere around them. "Love? Where did you go?"

"I'm over here!" Matt exclaimed. 

Millie, confused, looked around in the dark for the source of the voice. Her heart soared when she came face to face with Jeffery a few seconds later. 

"I told you not to leave me alone in there!" Jeffery scoffed, walking over to the pair. "Why are you- wait is that Millie?"

"Hi Jeffery," Millie smiled. "Are you guys-"