Chapter 18: Where's Fred?

As Cedric stepped in accompanied by his ex-girlfriend, Isabelle, Millie felt her heart hit the ground. Why is he with her? she asked herself, and why does he look so happy? The second they made eye contact the pit in her stomach expanded and she ran away from Matt and into the house.

"Wait, Millie!" Cedric called out to her, taking a step towards the house.

He was jerked back by Isabelle who had grabbed his wrist.

"Clearly she doesn't want to talk to you, Ceddy," she pouted, a sorrowful look on her face. "Come on, let's just go get some drinks,"

He followed her hesitantly towards the table, glancing back at the house as he walked. Matt saw what had happened and figured Millie would misinterpret the situation. He knew he had to intervene, if not for her sake, for Cedric's.

The Burrow was close to empty since everyone was outside, so the living room where Millie sat was quiet. She felt stupid. Had she waited too long to talk to him again? Had he already moved on? She didn't blame him- she felt pathetic next to Isabelle. Her tan skin and gorgeous caramel brown hair made her glow whenever she walked in a room. She had wide hips and thick thighs leading up to a slim waist which were wildly accentuated in the in the tight, long sleeve, dark blue dress she was wearing. Only she could pull that off, Millie had thought the moment she saw her.

"Millie, it's not what you think," Matt walked in abruptly, sitting down next to her on the couch.

"What, him and Isabelle?" she asked. He nodded. "Then can you explain them walking in together because that didn't feel great,"

"It's just because he's staying with her over break," he stated. "And you already knew that,"

"He's what?" Millie started, thrown off. "Why is he doing that? And why would I know that? And...why wouldn't he tell me?"

"He- you didn't know?" Matt asked, suddenly very uncomfortable.

"No," she sighed, sitting back in the couch and looking straight ahead.

Of course he wouldn't tell you if he was staying with his ex, she thought, especially when she looks like that. You wouldn't even talk to him before you left, why shouldn't he go visit his ex? Why tell you when he could very easily get away with snogging her for two weeks? No- Millie. Don't jump to conclusions. Cedric would never kiss her while you two are together.

"I- erm, I thought he told you a while ago," Matt stuttered.

"A while ago?" she spat. "How long has this been the plan?"

"I- I don't now, it's, erm...well-"

"Matt," she said sternly, prompting him to tell her.

"The last month or so," he sighed.

"Month?!" Millie exclaimed.

"Oh no," Matt muttered, silently cursing himself for making things worse.

Millie felt sick to her stomach. Why wouldn't Cedric tell her? Was it his plan to secretly snog her over the holiday the whole time? She'd never think Cedric would do such a thing, but then again she didn't think Cedric would ever do what he did to Fred, either.

"Matt, I think you should go back to the party," she sighed, wrapping her sweater tightly around her for she felt extremely exposed and vulnerable in the moment.

"Are you sure?" he asked, feeling horrible for creating the situation he had.

Millie nodded, not looking up as him as he composed himself and slowly made his way back outside. As Millie sat and thought about the many possible situations Cedric could've gotten himself into while staying with his goddess of an ex-girlfriend, she shamed herself in knowing that she would probably forgive him if he did anything bad. She still couldn't believe she didn't feel worse about the Fred incident, as it had caused one of the most important people in her life an immense amount of hurt and pain.