Chapter 17: Charlie Weasley

*Not my fan art! I believe this is by Natello's art, but if anyone knows otherwise or requests I remove it let me know!

-

"Charlie's home!" Killian called out from the doorframe, running out to meet the tall ginger walking towards the house.

It was Christmas Eve and the entire Weasley family (aside from Percy who had deemed it necessary to work on Christmas Eve) plus Millie, Harry, and Killian were spread throughout the house, decorating and preparing for Christmas while Molly made dinner. Ron and Killian had yet to cross paths as Killian was doing everything in his power to avoid confrontation with the boy. He had had enough after yesterday's debacle. He just wanted to spend Christmas with the people he loved, not argue with what used to be his best friend.

Molly, Arthur, and Bill followed Killian out to see the second oldest Weasley child and to help him carry in his things. Peering through the window, Millie noticed he looked different than he had when she last saw him a few years ago. He was tanner than his siblings and nearly as tall as Fred and George. He had vibrant, curly hair and just an all together care-free aura. Millie had always found him rather attractive (I mean, he is a Weasley, she thought), but him being five years older than her, she figured he saw her as more of a sister figure like Bill did.

Everyone greeted him excitedly as he came in, the house erupting in elated chaos at the new arrival. He left for Romania a few years ago and had only returned a couple times, none of which the Barrett's were present for, so seeing Charlie again was an exciting experience for both Millie and Killian as they had gotten along with him very well in the short time they'd spent together. 

"If it isn't little Millie Barrett," Charlie said, sauntering over towards the girl with a wide grin. "Not so little anymore though, are you?"

"Hi, Charlie," she said, smiling back as he pulled her into a quick hug which she reciprocated.

"How've you been?" he asked, sitting down on the couch and propping his feet up on the coffee table. "Is it true you're dating Freddie?"

"Erm- well, we were," she said, sitting down next to him. "But now we're just friends," he gave a small nod, but Millie noticed a subtle uplift in his smirk. "How's Romania?"

The pair continued to chat until dinner was ready. Percy had returned from the ministry, so everyone gleefully sat around the table, asking Charlie questions and enjoying their Christmas Eve feast.

"Must be strange being back though," Killian stated. Almost everybody had finished their meals by this point, but the entire family continued to sit around and talk. "Not nearly as many dragons here,"

"Well, you're not wrong there," Charlie chuckled, running a hand through his curly, Weasley red hair. "But it's nice being able to see you all,"

Millie caught his gaze as he looked towards her, his chestnut brown eyes glistening as he smiled at her from across the table. She felt his foot touch her's, running up her leg slightly before pulling it back and glancing away as if nothing happened. No one else seemed to notice this interaction or the blush that crossed her cheeks as she looked down at the table. That was odd, she thought to herself. 

She tried to ignore what had happened as she reinstated herself in the conversation, but the look Charlie had given her mixed with his flirtatious foot playing below the table kept running through her head. The thought of him seeing her like that gave her chills, more so after she looked over to see his wide smile and entrancing laugh as he conversed with his siblings.

Suddenly, Harry caught her eye.

"You okay?" he silently mouthed. She nodded in response, a soft smile forcing it's way over her lips.