"My sisters will take good care of me, don't worry. They didn't want me to come back, but I wanted to tell you myself and get your advice. I'm sorry to leave you when you need me."

"I'll be fine. By the time the baby's born I hope I'll no longer be Regent, and I can come and see you without a fuss. Then you can come back and be part of the Queen's household if you like."

"Will you be Mistress of the Household again, then?"

"I don't know. Maybe." Sabrina thought wistfully of the quiet and solitude of Fibräaé, and then of Aunt Euphrasia's house in London. She would definitely need a vacation if she lived through this.

"It has been such a pleasure working with you," Aliza said. "I hope it won't be the last time."

Sabrina smiled. "I'm glad I got to know you, Aliza. Don't worry about the future; just think of the baby right now. Have a safe trip back, and don't forget to give Sehaèri my love."

"I won't. Good-bye, my lady, and good luck!" Aliza curtseyed and left, looking wistfully over her shoulder as she went through the door.

Sabrina sighed and turned to Darice, who was looking sympathetically at her. Reauwina came in, saying, "I found this in—oh, where's Aliza?"

"I sent her home," Sabrina sighed.

"I didn't think you'd let her stay, once you knew," Reauwina said. "But I haven't any family obligations, and Rndara needs someone to spell her."

"Yes, I'm glad you're here. Thank you for coming. You know the danger's not over, don't you?"

"Yes. I've been in touch with Rndara. I know what I'm in for." She looked grim, but only briefly. Then a smile lit up her face, and she held up the gauzy purple and gold fabric in her hands. "But look at this fichu; isn't it lovely? It will go perfectly with that dress that has the neckline you hate."

Sabrina smiled.

______________

As full as the day was, there came a time when she had to acknowledge it was time for Darice to go off duty. Mukryilla had impressed on Sabrina the need to make sure her daytime bodyguard got sufficient rest, since it was during the day, when she was moving around, that she was most vulnerable. Sabrina put on her lieutenant's uniform and went up to her conservatory, where Darice planned to sleep. Tassan was there, dozing lightly.

Darice folded her arms and said, "You know, if you are truly planning to take us both with you, we should make some effort to all get back on the same sleep schedule, so we will both be at peak alertness during the actual meeting."

"There'll be time for that aboard ship," Sabrina said, "since we have to go in normal space."

"Well," Darice said, "at any rate, maybe he can sleep a bit tonight. I think he and the Commander are finally happy with their project. Good night, my lady."

"Good night, Darice," Sabrina replied.

Darice started to leave, then paused and looked critically at Tassan. Before Sabrina could stop her, the bodyguard lunged for him, her hands going for his throat.

Tassan exploded awake, responding instinctively to defend himself, and Sabrina had to step back out of their way as they wrestled each other. Tassan paused when he realized whom he was fighting, and Darice grinned. "Just checking."

"You could have been killed," Tassan snapped, stepping back. "Don't ever sneak up on me like that!"

Darice shrugged. "It's my job to ensure the Regent's security. I wanted to make sure you could be effective even if you dozed off."