Chapter Thirty-Seven

Start from the beginning

As it was, I didn't mind it too much, which I should have analyzed more, except I was so tired from my lack of sleep. Dominic was right about that, even if I found it annoying to be coddled. I'd spent a lot of years doing the bootstrap thing, even with Luis at my side. Nonetheless, I dozed while listening to the white noise of Dominic's delighted chatter. Jeanne leaned into me on my other side, patting my hand all the way to the city.

Someone nudged me awake as we entered the city gates, and I stretched forwards. Dominic helped me out of the car, and we walked back to the temple steps where Duir was standing, to the excited adoration of the entire city. There was a crush of people to muscle through, but we made it to our place.

We were the last ones there. Again.

"So kind of you to make it!" Duir said with a bright grin. I could see how Valenia could be her priestess. There were two other girls with their entourage that I hadn't met at the party.

"Madeline, meet Zovria and Xanda. They held their Becoming ceremonies in their countries and joined us here."

I nodded at the two women. Xanda looked much like the girl with the waterfall dress at the party, and I wondered if she was related. The other girl was an adorable confection with lavender hair and eyes. She smiled at me sweetly.

In front of us was a portal that shimmered like water within a gilt frame.

Duir turned to me and pointed at the portal. "You'll probably die in there, and then I won't have my fabulous catalyst to use anymore. This is your last chance to give up. If you do, I'll even send your friends home!"

Tempting. But, no. It was definitely a trap."You know I've always been rebellious, Duir. Why should I stop now?"

Duir Humphed. "Well, it was nice knowing you then." She nodded at Valenia. "Let's begin."

Regina was the first to go through the portal, but she was happy to give me a dig before she did. "Oh no. You're missing another member of your court? Did he tire of you and run away?"

At the look on my face, she cackled. "Oh, no! He did! How absolutely grand!" She disappeared into the portal, still cackling.

Marisol parted with a dig as well. "Hope we find enough of you left for your funeral!"

The other two ladies disappeared with polite nods of their heads. Lavender girl also offered me a friendly smile before disappearing.

That left us. "Any of you that don't want to go, let me know."

"We're in this together, Matt," Adrian said. He sent warm thoughts and memories of us sleeping together the night before. He'd thought I was adorable, and it made me smile.

Armed with that for courage, I entered the portal and found myself face to face with the most incredible creature. And alongside it was someone else.

I screamed, and my friends stumbled through the portal with their weapons raised. 

"What are you screaming for, Matt!" Mike hollered, waving his arms around. He'd been hiding behind the hideous creature and had nearly made me jump right out of my skin when he popped out.

"Are you crazy?? What are you doing here??" I pressed a hand to my heart as I scowled at him.

"I'm here to help! I swear!"

"Like I'll believe that. And what in the heck is that thing!"

The thing in question was somehow frowning at me. I'm saying somehow because it didn't have eyes. Where eyes should be, it had water lilies. It had crinkled the upper petals in such a way that it looked like a frown. I'd bumped into its snout when I entered through the portal and it blew hot breath at me in outrage. Its head was skeletal and looked like a deer's head. The rest of the body was bigger than a British double-deck bus and covered in a rough bark that was greenish from moss growing all over it. The thing was noisy too. It made a whooshing sound every time it took a breath. I looked down and saw that someone made its legs out of what looked like really long pliers. Or perhaps they were tongs.