Part 14: The Growing Tensions (Tuesday)

As the day before, Adam was waiting for me in front of the parking lot. He was alone this time because he probably realized this was the only time of the day we could talk. I hugged him tightly, and I felt really good, feeling his strong and warm body against mine. He wrapped his arms around my waist while I rested my head on his shoulder, and I could feel his breath on my cheek. I wanted to stay in that moment forever, but I knew something was bothering both of us, and I thought it would be best if we talked about it.

I decided to cut straight to the point by asking: "So, what do you think will happen after this Saturday?" "I'm not sure, but as long as we stay together, I'm ok with anything." That was so much like him. He didn't have a worry in the world. I was wondering why he could be so sure about that, and just to see if he ever thought anything could go wrong, I said: "What if they don't let us stay together? What will we do?" He looked at me with a surprised expression: "There is no way I am going to let you go! I would do anything to be with you!" I pulled away to look at him as I said: "Would you fight for us? It would be only us against both packs. There is no way we could win this fight." 

I was asking just to see how well he has thought things through. "I don't know, I would fight with my packmates from school. They are pretty loyal to me. If not that, we could run away together. But why are you even thinking about those things? As you said, we will be getting our titles soon enough, and then we can do whatever we want. But our fathers are smart and well-experienced Alphas. I trust they will make the best decision for all of us!" He was really getting annoyed with my questions and was almost shouting by the end. But there it was, he was fine with them making a decision for our future packs and us, but I just wasn't.

I said as calmly as I could: "Well, I don't trust them with this decision," because I wanted him to see my point clearly. Adam just shook his head, looking at me. "Julianna, we have to respect the current Alphas. Don't make any rash decisions again, please. It will all be well; just wait," he said with a slightly calmer voice than before. I hated the fact that we weren't on the same page here. I tried to understand him; I really did. I guess Adam never in his life had a feeling he could lose something. Taking his Alpha position in the future was never under question. In contrast, I felt I had to prove all my life that I am worthy of my title, and still, some people doubted me. I learned early that if I wanted something, I just had to fight for it.

I hated that Adam didn't see things as I did. He just seemed to get annoyed when I tried to explain, so I just scowled at him, not wanting to start a fight.

After that, there was nothing else to say, and he walked me to my class. I didn't stop to say anything, and he didn't try to pull me back.

The next time we met was at the cafeteria for lunch. Again, we sat with our usual members, but this time everyone was just quiet. The atmosphere was so thick that it felt as if anyone dared to make a sound, we would all just snap. There were only occasional glares between both packs, but Adam tried to stare them down if he noticed. It was all just very uncomfortable altogether, and I couldn't wait for lunchtime to finish.

After school, Adam walked me to my ride, but again neither of us said anything, so I just got in the car and left. I hated the state we had come to, but I honestly didn't know how to proceed from there.

*This chapter was short too, but the next one will be the normal length again. I promise I will update soon! Big thanks to everyone reading my story!

**R.E.M.: Losing My Religion

You just gotta love them!