Part 9: A Bird in a Gilded Cage (Thursday)

I stayed in my room all day, trying to distract myself by watching TV or playing games. Still, it didn't really work as I kept thinking about everything that happened since last week. I wish I could go to school at least. Not only because of Adam, but my friends were all there too. My dad was at the pack building most of the time, and my mom was busy with her own work. She stopped working when I was born, but later she got involved again by organizing different activities and events for the pack members.

I tried to go out, but there were guards outside the house just as my father threatened the day before. "Sorry, Julianna. We have strict orders not to let you out of sight," was what James, dad's third in command and Gina's father said. I noticed there were several other guards stationed around the house, and I assumed there were probably a few more in the surrounding woods. "Can we go see my dad then?" I asked. James called my father and then agreed to bring me to his office in the pack building.

When we got there, my father was already waiting for me in his big office on the top floor. After we stepped inside, James nodded to my father, then left the room and closed the door behind him. "Hi, dad," I said. "Julianna," he greeted me, "how can I help you?" His expression was much more serious than usual when he talked to me, which unsettled me. 

"Dad... You can't keep me locked up. I want to go out, and I want to go to school." I was hoping that he would be more reasonable with me today after he had some time to calm down. "Julie, I know, but I can't let you do that. I know you will run straight to that boy." I noticed he didn't even want to mention Adam's name. "And why is that so bad? He is my mate after all!" "I know, but we must consider all our options first. We are only lucky that he hasn't marked you yet. That gives us more choices on how to deal with your situation." 

He hasn't marked me yet... I hadn't even thought about it until now. I guess things were just so frantic recently that we hadn't even had a chance to talk about it. I know the old werewolf traditions were to mark the female on the first-day mates meet and then mate as soon as possible, preferably on the same day too. But those traditions must have been really old since I haven't known anybody who moved that fast. Besides, if Adam tried to mark me on the first day we meet at school, I would have probably killed him. I was really happy it didn't happen that way. I hated being forced into anything. Just as I was being forced into a house arrest just now.

 "My situation? Dad, it is my mate and me we are talking about! What options are you thinking about?" I tried to find out what he was thinking of doing. "Julie, this is not only about you. It concerns the future of our pack and all other packs as well. I must think about it carefully to avoid any unwanted consequences for us," he tried to explain to me. I did understand what he was trying to say, but it also concerned me, and I thought I should be involved in deciding my fate. 

"Dad, I need to know what you are thinking of doing. Please!" I tried to get to him. "Honey, I will let you know, just give me a few days," was all he said. As I couldn't get anywhere with him, I left the pack building and went back home. James was already waiting outside my dad's office to walk me back.

After school, Gina and Lara came over and gave me all the materials from classes that day. "How was school today? Anything happened?" What I really wanted to ask was if they had seen Adam and how he was doing. They somehow knew what I was going for, so Gina replied: "Nothing special. We saw Adam a few times. He looked more serious than when you are around, but that's all." "Oh, and if you were wondering, there were three big boob bitches crawling all over him next to lockers," Lara added. My face grew pale: "Whaaaaat?" Gina was scowling at Lara, but Lara only broke out laughing. "Oh man, that was too easy! I just had to!" I pushed her a bit too strongly, so she landed on the floor next to my bed, where we were all seating before. That made her laugh even more, and I couldn't help but smile at her successful attempt to get me angry. 

I was still not very confident in Adam's loyalty after seeing him with other girls three times last week. Even if he explained everything to me before, I still felt jealous about it. Especially the scene from the club was still haunting me. How could he kiss that girl? But to be honest, we weren't together yet at that time, and the way I was acting was almost pushing him into another girl's arms. 

"Jules, nothing happened. He is so into you, you have nothing to worry about," Lara said, and that snapped me out of my thoughts. "No, I have plenty to worry about. I have no idea what my dad wants to do, and it's driving me crazy!" I honestly told them.

*Sorry, this chapter was a bit shorter, but updates are coming soon! What do you think will happen next?

**Fools Garden: Lemon Tree