Chapter 25

A/N Sorry I've been AWOL for the last month and a half. hope you'll enjoy the update :) 

...........................................

"Welcome to your new home, sweet pea," Mrs Williams smiled down at Layla as she held open the car door for the nine-year-old to step out of. 

Layla's nerves were on an all-time high as she took in the house that stood before her. She hesitantly moved out of the car door's way before taking Mrs Williams's hand in her small cold ones. Hoping to quell some of her nerves. She noticed her backpack holding all of her belongings were in Mrs Williams's other hand. 

It had taken an entire week of being admitted into the hospital for her to get the all-green sign to be able to leave. And now that she had been discharged, she would be residing at her teacher's house for the indefinite future. 

"It's very pretty," Layla mumbled, suddenly shy. Though pretty was an understatement. The doubled-story house looked like it was made yesterday. The very green grass was cleanly cut, a  wooden swing sat on the lowest branch of an oak tree, and at the top was a little tree house. Layla stared at it in amazement.

Walking slowly to the front door, Mrs Williams pulled the set of keys from her pocket and unlocked the wooden door. As soon as the door opened, Layla's mouth dropped. It was absolutely beautiful. There were pictures of her, her husband, and what appeared to be their son lining the walls of the house. The house looked spotless, and it wasn't until she took a closer look at the nearest wall, did she see different coloured lines marking the walls. She presumed it was some type of marker. That alone made her realise how amazing this woman standing beside her was, that she had left a child's destruction on the wall without beating them or forcing them to clean it up. 

As they walked further into the house, the scent brought tears to her eyes. Gone was the smell of bleach, and instead, the place smelled like freshly baked bread. 

Layla felt a tug on her arm and realised that Mrs Williams had begun walking forward towards an archway. She blindly followed after her into what she registered was a kitchen. 

"This here is the kitchen. You're allowed to eat anytime you want, but no sweets after dessert," She gestured to different things around the kitchen. 

"Then over here is the dining room. We usually eat dinner together and maybe sometimes breakfast, depending on everyone's schedules," Mrs Williams explained walking around the table. 

"o-okay." Layla stuttered, unsure as to why Mrs Williams would tell her this. Was she allowed to eat at the table now too? 

She'd hoped so. 

"Through this doorway is the arts room. Well, we call it that, it involves some musical instruments and books. Lots and lots of books", Mrs Williams laughed. Though she wasn't kidding. As they walked through the doorway, there were two walls of bookshelves. These bookshelves lined themselves from the floor to the roof, all encased with books. 

In front of the window was a piano, and next to that, a wooden guitar. In the middle of the room were two seats decked with pillows. "it's an escape room," Mrs Williams examined the girl, "to help leave reality for a bit." 

Layla stared around the room, if she was allowed to come in here, then she'd might be spending most of her time sitting around reading these books. 

Mrs Williams approached the girl, and slowly placed an arm around Layla's shoulders, hoping the slow movement wouldn't make her flinch, and when she didn't, a warm feeling spread through her heart. She couldn't wait till Layla was comfortable in their lives. Couldn't wait to show her all the joys of the family.