18| as the world caves in

cw: blood, death, themes of depression

2 minutes until his death

The ground trembles under my feet; Tommy holding on tightly, as he inches behind me, despite the height difference between us.
An eerie feeling coursing though my bones, as confusion lurks in my head.

Only now, it all started to click.
Though when it did, it was far too late.

My eyes make contact with the hill on the opposing side of the quaint, still river that flowed throughout L'manberg.

A single tear drop falls from my eye.

The hill I was staring at begins to erupt, explosives burst through the soil; flying into the air. Citizens shout in the streets, only my ears were too dull, too numb from sorrow to pay attention to any other being around other than the one beside me, and the one who stood across.

I clutch my shield, holding it over Tommy and I. Ash soaring in the sky, landing on our clothing, burning holes as the fire hadn't burned out yet. Trashing the land we so pridefully won back; the happily ever after was never in reach, I was only in denial.

Happily ever after's don't exist.
It's only a game, that I've been trapped in.

I shield it all from Tommy who stands behind me, when I thought the poor boy was drained of tears, dehydrated by constant pain.
He wasn't, he may have only had a few tears left to cry, yet they flew like a waterfall.

When the deafening sounds had began to fizzle out, I lower my shield. Revealing all the damage the explosives had caused; wanting to cover my eyes like a little kid— just wanting to run away.

Oh, to black out and leave all the torture behind. To spare myself from one less heartbreak; to wash the blood off my hands.
Guilty, I was a contributor; I could've done something more.
Letting everything I had ever known aside to be  thrown against a wall, chained against it— trapped.

I didn't want to look at the hill, my eyes stay trained on the taller, blonde boy who had moved beside me.
It would hurt me too badly to see the man I loved in this state, after hurting me, and the person I had grown to care for the most.

Only my brain couldn't allow me to leave, to walk away without seeing his face.
A compelling spell taking over my senses, blinding myself of a heathy mindset.

So I turn, meeting eyes with him.
What is this feeling?
Fury? Agony? Fear? Loneliness? Hatred?

In my head I am angry with him; I gave that man all my trust, throwing everything I had on the table. Allowing myself to be vulnerable, honest. He had taken it through the mud, dragging myself along the way.
He threw away what he had, that all started off real, just for power. He is a power hungry man, allowing that to strip him of sanity.
Allowing him to strip away both of our— love?

His stance was confident, his face colorless.
Proud of himself, what he had done to all the people he claimed to love.
He promised me the stars, only to have flown too close— he had reached the sun, burning himself; allowing the ashes to tear apart the ones he cared for.

Love—A loaded word.
Using it to entice Tommy and I.
Manipulating Tommy to believe Wilbur was his brother, after he knew that all the boy wanted was a real family.
Taking advantage of my lack of attention, and my lack of any real feeling for another person.

My breath grows heavy, I showered the seeds with peace; only now I'm the one who pays for war, for death.

The boy that stands beside me shutters, blinding himself from his peripheral vision, keeping his blue eyes on the insane man.