Chapter Twenty-Six

Kaitlyn ran into the hospital as fast as she could with Jayden hot on her trail. As Bennet promised, he had sent one guard along who chased them till the reception. The receptionist looked at her unfazed as if she's dealt with worse than the panic stricken Kaitlyn in front of her.

"Uhm, how can I help you?" She asked looking at her computer

"Hey I'm Kaitlyn Hernandez and My uncle was brought here few hours ago" she explained and the receptionist looked at her.

"Oh, Ms Hernandez I'm so sorry for my behavior" she apologized as some people began taking pictures of the siblings with their bodyguard. Wondering what they were doing in a hospital.

"It's okay. Just where is Carlos Plazibat?"

"He's still in the operating room, ma'am. First floor"

"Is he fine?" Jayden asked.

"Yeah he is" Kaitlyn answered and turned to the bodyguard. "Let's go, first floor" she led the way and they followed. She saw Lia sitting on one of the chairs situated there holding a mug like her life depended on it. A woman placed a hand round her shoulder and Kaitlyn immediately recognized her as Carlos's sister. The only family he had in New York. Lia shot her head up when she heard their approaching footsteps. Her hair was a mess and her face was stained with tears. "Aunt Lia" Kaitlyn said. Seeing her aunt like that made her heart clench as she was always an outspoken and confident woman.

"Kaitlyn" she said as Kaitlyn hugged her tighter.

"It's going to be okay" she said and turned to Carlos's sister. "Good day" she said.

"How are you, dear" she asked. "Saw you on the news yesterday. I'm so happy for you"

"Thank you" Jayden slumped on one of the seats and sighed. The operating room light went off signaling the surgery was done as the doctor stepped out with some nurses and Carlos's on a stretcher.

"Is he fine?" Lia asked.

"I'm sorry but he-" the doctor began and went silent for a second making Kaitlyn gasp and Lia to hold on to the seat for support as her knees had gone weak. All hope was lost. "He's not dead. He's out of danger. But in a coma. The cops said his car rolled over multiple times. It's a miracle he isn't dead. His head has some problems but it's cleared. He had broken bones too including his ribs which will take time to heal. Overall, we think six weeks. If he isn't responding in six weeks then I'm sorry to say but there'll be nothing we'll be able to do about it. We just have to wait"

"I'm sure he'll be fine" Carlos's sister, Carla said.

"We can only hope and keep giving him medications, keeping him under surveillance"

"Can we go see him?" Lia asked.

"We'll pay for a private suite" Kaitlyn announced.

"Lyn are you crazy? It costs a fortune"

"Come on Aunt Lia. You've done so much for us. This is the least we can do for you both" she turned to the doctor. "I'll make the payment"

"I'm sorry to ask but you're so young so how can you afford such a luxury?" The doctor asked.

"No its okay. I'm Kaitlyn Hernandez. Chris Hernandez's daughter" she smiled as the doctor's face lit up.

"Ah, yes!" he laughed. "Your father was a gem of a person. So kindhearted. He was a member of the board of directors here"

"Thank you"

"I'm one of the oldest doctors here and your father was a good friend of mine. You can come to me for any help. I'll be sure to help your uncle in every way possible" she smiled.