Chapter 20

Hazel POV

The room was completely bare, and the floors of this room were not finished. The walls were painted white and Emma, Kyle, and Billy were all lying down on the ground. Their hands were zip tied behind their backs, and they each had a cloth tied around their mouths so they couldn't speak.

I turned fast to look at Nex. "Untie them."

"I can't do that." He said. "They were going to get in and hurt us."

I looked at Emma to see her shake her head vigorously. I didn't know who to trust. I've known Emma for quite a while and she wouldn't do that, but Nex hasn't ever lied to me before. Why would he lie now?

"There my friends. Let them go."

"Hazel." He brushed a piece of hair out of my face and took my head in both his hands.

"Promise me you'll untie them and let them go."

"Haz-"

"Promise me."

Nex looked over to his friends and then over to mine, and then back to me. "Fine. I promise."

He dropped his hands and I looked once more over to my friends before walking out of the room. I trusted Nex. He would untie them and let them go.

Nex followed me out and closed the door behind himself. "Go make yourself something to eat and shower. I'll let them go and meet you back in your room. Ok?"

I nodded my head and told myself repeatedly to trust him. Nex smiled and kissed my forehead before walking back into the room. I stood there for a second before turning around and walked straight ahead all the way to the kitchen.

I grabbed the cereal from the shelf and just grabbed a handful, and ate it as I walked up the stairs to my room. Once in my room, I opened up the bag and got out my bathroom supplies, and then snatched the pajamas from off my bed and headed to the bathroom. I took a long shower and used the opportunity to think.

I should have stayed in the room to make sure Nex followed through with his promise, but I didn't. I should go down there now, I thought. No. I have to trust him. I also didn't want to hurt him. I still had no idea why he cut himself this time.

I dried myself off and dressed into Nex's baggy shirt and my shorts. After that, I brushed my teeth and hair, and then walked back into my room. I had no idea how long Nex was going to be, so I picked up the Romeo and Juliet book off the bedside table and sat in the middle of the bed, and waited.