𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 60 | Back to Cair Paravel |

Start from the beginning

And it could only mean one thing.  

"You are not taking Firestream and you are not going to Archenland," Peter said. 

"Of course I am," Imira said and the murderous look turned into one of sweetness. "I am going to fly him to Anvard, burn our enemies, pick Rabadash up and drop him at the Tirsoc's gate like the pile of treasonous filth that he is," she said, her tone and smile at odds with the violent nature of her words. 

"And start a war? I think not," Peter said and sat in the spot she had vacated earlier. 

The smile disappeared and she became serious, if not a bit angry. "You read the letter, he is headed for Anvard. It is he who has started a war against our allies and intends to bring it to our doorstep. And it is I who will stop him," 

"By murdering the heir of Calormen?" Peter raised his brows at her. 

"By killing our enemies," Imira stated. 

"Not everything is resolved by killing," Peter said and picked up the whetstone. 

"Says the man planning to kill his enemies," 

"After an attempt at parlay," Peter said, twirling the stone in his hand. 

"Do you think he intends to parlay with King Lune?" Imira asked. 

"You are not taking Firestream and dropping Prince Rabadash at the Tirsoc's feet," Peter stood. 

"That's even better than dropping him at his gate," Imira murmured to herself. 

"I need Firestream here," Peter planted himself before her. 

"I need to kill Rabadash," Imira countered, mimicking his pose. From his hip-wide stance to his hands behind his back and direct stare. 

"You need to go home and monitor the situation. This isn't enough information to act on when we are already waging a war against the Ettins. They are the biggest threat, don't forget that," Peter said and placed his hands on her shoulders and held her at arm's length. "Now, Prince Rabadash has done nothing to you, or us, so stop this silly vendetta you have against every Calormen you encounter. Whatever centuries-old bad blood exists between your people, I'm not getting involved, we are not getting involved," He gave her shoulders a little squeeze.  If he crosses the border into our land, you may kill him during battle–" 

"If he crosses the border into our land it will be too late for Archenland," Imira argued, twisting away from him. 

"Which is why Edmund is headed there," Peter said, not bothering to reach out for her just yet, "To help King Lune. I have complete trust in him,"

"But not in me?" Imira crossed her arms. 

"He is my brother, you are my wife," 

Imira's brows shot up. 

"That came out wrong," Peter realized. 

"Indeed," 

"Let me try again. Whatever happened in Calormen that prompted Prince Rabadash to attack, Edmund knows of it because he was there and you were not. You are not privy to the same information. He will handle it. He is as good a warrior as you are and he dislikes the prince just as much as you do if not more. He is my brother and he is king and he and Lucy will take care of that, that's their duty. Now you, you are my wife. Which means your duties are slightly different from those of my brother. Do you remember two young boys, brothers, about twelve? This high, almost identical, one due to inherit my throne? You need to make sure our sons, my heirs, are safe. Make sure Cair Peravel is safe. Make sure my sister is safe. And be prepared to return here to the front or call upon our western allies for help if Edmund or I ask you to,"