Ch28: Another Day, Another Girl

<<Victorious' POV>> (Royal Navy)

As we sit together, waiting on the food to arrive, I continue drilling Mary about various aspects of Pacifica's culture. Whilst she doesn't answer all my questions, from those she do I gather that what Jasmine told me earlier might actually be true. There might be no definitive way to know how many ships there are though I suspect the reason is far more complicated than just "All ship's are never in the same location regularly." 

Mary: What about your nation? I hear you have a King as well.

Me: Oh...yeah...though it's not really like you'd think.

Mary: In what sense?

Me: They aren't married or anything. It's more of a mutual understanding to co-rule than a partnership.

Mary: I see, and does it work well? 

Me: As far as I am aware. 

She pauses to think about this and it's during this pause that waiters return with our dishes in hand. They place them before us before bowing and retreating out of our private dining area. I still can't believe she's gotten us such an extravagant setup but the thought quickly leaves my mind as I look down at the dish before me. 

Me: It looks delicious

Mary: They're going to return shortly with the rice but if you'd like to try it feel free to go ahead.

Taking her up on the offer, I lift one piece up with the provided chopsticks. Mary watches me keenly as I raise it to my lips but before I slip it in, it occurs to me to ask what it is. 

Me: What's it called?

She laughs but quickly replies stating that it's called "Firecracker Chicken". Thinking she's joking, I in turn return the laugh before slipping it into my mouth. Almost instantly, my mouth lights afire. Tongue now red, I gasp for air, half thinking that I'm breathing out fire. Mary laughs as she slides her glass of water over to me. Without even thinking, I down the entire glass.

Mary: So how is it?

I can't even respond, my mouth still burning. It doesn't take long for my eyes to water and I'm momentarily forced to hold my head up to prevent my nose from running. Mary, in the end, has to call the waiter who brings some milk across which I down the minute they let go of the glass. 

Me: How do you eat something like that?

She shrugs as she replies. 

Mary: Practice, I guess. Though I guess I also usually eat it with the rice so it's not half as hot as you just had it. 

I'm a bit sceptical but once the rice arrives and I try it, I find out she's right. The rice takes away some of the peppery flavours too though I have a feeling the burning sensation has also been reduced by the fact that the chicken has cooled a bit since it arrived a few minutes earlier. Still, I enjoy the meal and before long, we've finished and are talking about other things.