Chapter 45

"Alice! I'm home." There is complete silence as I enter our apartment. Weird, she's supposed to be here. I shrug and take my shoes off, heading to my room.

I throw my bag on the bed to start unpacking from my night at my dad's when I turn and see Alice standing behind my door. She yells "boo!" and I swear I almost pee myself.

"Jesus! What the heck, Alice! I could have killed you." I glare at her, a can of hairspray in my hand.

She's still laughing as she responds, "I don't think a can of hairspray would kill me, sweets. At least I hope not."

I roll my eyes just as Kieran enters the room. Where the hell was he hiding?

"Gem, why are you rolling your eyes?"

I grunt and flop onto my bed. These two are not cute right now.

"Ooh, are you going to punish her, daddy?" Alice questions with a sparkle in her eye.

I cringe and yell into my comforter.

"No, Alice," Kieran responds. I let out a breath, happy he didn't give her any more information. Then he adds, "she calls me 'sir', not 'daddy', remember?"

I raise my head and point to my door, telling them both to get out. They oblige my request and leave the room, laughing together. Kieran is getting less shy around her, and I don't know how much I like it.

By the time I'm done unpacking and changing into a more comfortable outfit of cotton shorts and a tank top, I've calmed down enough to go meet my doom in the living room. I see Alice and Kieran on the couch, watching Grey's Anatomy without me.

"Hey! Who said this is okay?" I cross my arms and pout at them. I feel the bun on my head bopping around as I shake my head.

They both turn to me with wide eyes, realizing they got caught.

"Kieran, you said she wouldn't be done for at least another ten minutes!" Alice hits his arm from the other end of the couch.

"She usually takes longer than that to unpack! And I thought she'd need at least another fifteen minutes to get over being upset at us. Sorry, I was off one time!" He retorts dramatically.

They continue to go back and forth while my amusement grows. These are the two most important people in my life and I'm ecstatic that they get along so well, though they get along a little too well sometimes.

"I love you guys," I whisper, tears filling my eyes. When did I become such a crybaby?

Kieran and Alice stop what they're doing, hearing my statement.

"We love you, too baby," Kieran says, patting the cushion in between them, motioning for me to sit. I make my way to the couch and sit down, both of their heads leaning on my shoulders.

We watch Grey's Anatomy for a few hours into the evening. I hadn't gotten back from my dad's until later in the afternoon because we spent some time together this morning. After our chat last night, we were up late talking and decided to make lunch together before I left. Things are getting better and I'm feeling hopeful for the first time in weeks.

Being with my two-favorite people is just what I need after yesterday and I'm glad they knew that without me asking.

Alice ends up making dinner, grilled cheese, because of course she's going out tonight with Tina. It is Saturday after all.

"Are you sure you're okay that I'm going out? I figured you'd want to spend some time alone with Kieran tonight anyway. Without anyone to listen," Alice winks at me and begins slipping on her heels.