Chapter 33

The weekend flies by in a blur. My two shifts at the Tech Office over the weekend and the tutoring sessions help keep my mind off things. Kieran helps too. Alice has been giving us space so we can process everything together, but we've been putting the conversation off. We don't want the honeymoon phase of our relationship to be hindered by all this stuff going on with my family.

I had met up with Zack on Saturday to let him know I couldn't tutor him anymore. I tried to do it via text instead, but he insisted that we meet up if I was going to "break up with him". I had rolled my eyes extensively and so did Kieran, making an exception to his rule.

"I have a boyfriend and the things you're saying to me are inappropriate. I was your tutor and I asked you to stop. It may seem like harmless flirting, but I don't want to mess my relationship up and I didn't ask for it. I think it's best if you get another tutor." I brush my hair behind my ear and look at the floor.

I'd never really had a confrontation like this before and it does feel a little like a break-up. Which is completely ridiculous.

My eyes move discreetly to my left, where Kieran is sitting a few tables away inside the coffee shop. He's tapping his foot under the table, and I see an annoyed look on his face when I look up. He insisted on being here during this embarrassing conversation.

"So, he finally had the guts to make it official, huh?" Zack smirks in my direction when I finally bring my eyes to him. "Lucky guy. I get it. I'm sorry that I made you uncomfortable. You just bring it out of me, I guess."

He brings a hand behind his head, scratching slightly in a nervous gesture. I can't help but notice his shirt rising slightly and I get a peek at his tanned stomach. That, mixed with the way his green eyes are boring into me, makes my face heat slightly.

"Well, hopefully things work out for you guys." He starts to get up from his seat, and I follow.

I nod quickly and offer a small smile. He leans in and I think he's going to hug me, so I stick my hand out to dodge it. At the same time, I notice Kieran stand abruptly from the corner of my eye. He's ready to pounce.

Zack awkwardly looks down at my hand and takes it softly at first, and then pulls me to him quickly. "If it doesn't, you know my number," he says with a wink.

The heat makes its way up my arm, and I inwardly groan, mad at myself for having any sort of reaction to his touch. His arrogance is annoying but he somehow still gets a reaction from me. He gives me one more of his signature smirks before letting me go and leaving the coffee shop. Damn him for being so unfairly attractive.

Kieran is at my side in a second, his hand on my lower back.

"Now I really don't like that guy. The way he looks at you makes me want to punch his face."

"Wow, you're looking a little green there," I laugh as I lean into his side. "It's over now. Put your fists away."

And that was the end of that. Kieran was upset for all of twenty minutes after that until we got back to my apartment, and I gave him a reason to not be so mad anymore.

Now, as I finish classes on Monday, I'm starting to realize keeping busy is only going to get me so far. I take my cellphone out on the walk back home, dialing Alice.

"Hey, lady. You up for having some 'us time' tonight?"

"Yes, please. Is Kieran going to be mad?"

I giggle and then sigh. "He'll live, I think. He knows how much I miss you."

"Good. Last thing I need is him mad at me for stealing you away. Though, let's admit, he stole you first." Alice grumbles the last part which causes me to laugh.