16

So, funny how even if you died today and now, nothing could stop moving the way it used to. Your family would grieve, surely, but no one could end his or her life because of you. She had thought that the day she would loose her Twin will be the ay she would be taken to her grave too, but here she was, after three days of his demise, still alive. She knew there was a thin, invisible line between life and death, which only few people acknowledged, she was on this thin line.

She wasn't dead because she was still breathing and her heart beat, unlike that of Hassan that had stopped moving forever. If she remembered her after life knowledge well, in his grave, three days are enough for him to have his nails come off, his stomach ruptured and his hair too. Well, she wouldn't go deeper into that, she might as well go crazy if she did.

She had been in her room for those three days and whoever wanted to say his condolences to her, came there himself. They all didn't stay long in her room, and she enjoyed that they gave her the privacy she needed. But she sometimes had to lock the door and everyone will assume she was sleeping, meanwhile, she was only crying while hugging his favorite things. It was an ache she didn't know when she would heal from.

There was a soft knock on the door, she wanted to ignore it like she had for the whole day and it was already night now, but hearing Sohila's crying voice made her trudged to the door. "Aunt Nadia, will you please open the door? I've been here for the tenth time today. Please tell me you aren't hurting yourself." Nadia pushed her tears back, she knew Sohila will be devastated but seeing her, she sometimes felt that she was far more devastated than she had ever imagined.

She opened the door and met her with a tray. They always brought food for her, sometimes her mother had to force her to eat something, just a few spoons of food. But today, it was because of the food that she had locked her door. Didn't they realize that she had no appetite or even the will to live?

She tried to close the door, "I've told you since morning, Sohila, I don't have the appetite to eat anything today. Please tell anyone that's looking for me that I'm asleep. Please?" Her tears pooled her eyes and no matter how Sohila wanted to argue with her about it, she couldn't. Nadia knew they were all trying to make her eat something because of her baby, but she just couldn't.

"Okay, do you want me to sleep with you tonight? It's not safe sleeping alone, Aunt Nadia." Almost everyone in the house had begged her to have someone to sleep together with, but she didn't want to. She wanted just her presence in her room. And the only additional presence she was used to in the room was that of Hassan and he was no more now.

Nadia softly fondled her head, "I'd be fine, Sohila, okay?" Both their tears rolled down their cheeks. Wasn't it sad how they both were in immense pain but still trying to look out for her? Was it because everyone knew Hassan loved her and they wanted to take care of what he loved? "You should be taking care of yourself too. You've lost some weight already."

Sohila smiled sadly and bade her goodnight before Nadia closed the door and locked it with a key. Instead of her to go back to her room, she noticed that Hussain was in his room due to the dim that she could spot. She knocked softly and he cleared his throat for her, emanating that she should enter. He knew no one came to his room expect her or Hajia.

She found him seated at the far end corner of his room, with his knees brought up to his chest as he placed his head on them, just staring out at space. He wasn't crying, but his eyes were so red that she knew he wished he was crying. It was too much agony for a heart to ache and eyes not being able to water. She pulled her tears back, trying as much as she could to stay strong for him.

She placed the tray on the bed and slumped on the ground before him. He only looked up at her once and looked away, closing his eyes as though that will lessen his pain. "Second Baba," she croaked, feeling as the absence they all had felt and were trying so hard to move on from engulfed her. There would be no more Hassan, First H, First Baba, nothing. Just the second. And right now, Sohila doubted if even Hajia could feel the pain Hussain was feeling at the moment.