Chap. 46

Vania sat on the steps of the porch alone after a very long time.

The night breeze was cold, freezing her nose and cheeks but her hands were warm.

She held tighter onto her mug breathing in deeply the aroma of the caffinated beverage.

'Ahh... Chaaye'

She felt the vapours trickling in through her nostrils and slipping into her nerves, running up to her brain releasing happy hormones, relaxing her and giving her a heady feeling.

This used to be her favorite pastime after coming to Lahore. Just sitting on the porch steps alone, with a strong cup of tea in her hand, enjoying the solitude the silent night has to offer. Stare at the sky high above and let her mind go free, unbounded by reality, thinking of everything and nothing as long as she pleased.... Or as long as Maniha didn't come looking for her ..... Or Zeeshan and Zainab didn't start missing her, heh... Family.

A smile graced her lips as she thought about what had just happened at dinner tonight a few hours ago.
...........

"Chawal is mine!!" Zeeshan said.

"Chalo koi nhi! Main khaoun gi!" Vania interrupted him.

"Nhhhii jjiii!  Aapi! Aap ne kal bhi khaya thaa yaarr! Aaj mera hai!!" Zainab whined.

"Kiya larayi ho rhi hai uff!!" Maniha came to the  dinning with the hotpot of Chapati Rotis (Tortilla bread) .

"Mama main chawal Khaoun gi aaj!"

"Main chawal khaoun gaa!"

"Chawal mera haai!"

The three of them screamed at the same time crying to Maniha.

Maniha slapped a hand on to her forehead. Her children and their fights over songs, over tv remote, over left-over rice, everything..

"Maine roti parosiyon ke liye banayi hai? Chup ker ke sab roti khayen ge pehley!"

"Nhi woh khaa len ge, phely batayen chawal kis ko miley gaa?" Vania quickly asked.

Maniha huffed putting her hand on her hip and opened her mouth to reply, "Vanu--"

*Cough* *Cough*

She stopped hearing the sound of Harris comming down to the table and they all looked up becoming less violent.

He had his head down as he walked in folding his sleeves at the same time replying to a message on his phone.

He pulled a chair placing his phone down and nodded at Maniha with a smile.

"Ajao beta betho. Chalo tum log sab betho." Maniha talked gently with Harris and with a sterness for the rest of them.

Harris didn't know they were arguing before he came so he half frowned, half smiled at the three monkeys who began pulling their chairs with sheepish expressions.

Maniha shook her head and went to get something else.

Vania quickly saw an opportunity and garbbed Zeeshan's hand.

"Main bata rhi hun chawal mera hai. Hanth nhi lagana." She whispered quickly and he gave her a crying face to which she narrowed her eyes trying to look scary.

"Kiya baat ho rhi hai?" Harris asked curiously, seeing them murmuring.

"Kuch bhi nhi.. Tum shuru karo naa!" Vania quickly responded with a bright smile.