chapter one|birthday blues

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, yeah he did," I mumble and look down at my shoes to avoid her pitying gaze. A beat of silence and I find myself starting to regret coming here. The last thing I needed to put a damper on this already miserable birthday was to get a lecture on my relationship from Rikki.

"Well, I know just what you need," her enthusiastic voice makes me sigh in relief. I had escaped the awkward conversation once. "An Oreo chip milkshake? On the house just this once."

I smile gratefully, "That would really help, thanks Rikki."

She waves me off and trudging, I make my way over to my regular corner booth where I had spent more days here than anywhere else.

I crossed my legs and surveyed the rest of the cafe. It was fairly empty, due to it being a Saturday and most teens were out partying or in town with their friends.

I, on the other hand, was completely lacking in the friends department with the number of times I had turned down opportunities to hang out with some of the students on campus.

There were still people here, mainly tourists during the summer time who came just to get a look at the local areas where travel outlets seemed to thrive.

"One Oreo milkshake," Rikki says joyfully, placing the tempting dessert in front of me. Expecting her to go away, I unhinge my jaw and dig in but instead, the middle-aged woman slides into the seat across from me and studies me with interest. I look up at her embarrassedly with the evident chocolate syrup probably sticking on my corner lip.

Clearing my throat, I wipe it away with the napkin and match her calculating gaze. "What's up?" I ask casually but really I was wishing for her to go away so I could eat in peace.

She doesn't say anything for a minute before sighing and placing her hand over mine. "I know we've talked about this before—barely, I might add—but you really need to start thinking about this relationship."

The pit feeling of dread grows in my stomach once again. Rikki was right about one thing, I had a tendency to always shut her down when she tried to talk to me about it. In all truth, I guess I was afraid to admit that she was right and that this relationship between Easton and me was not ideal.

"It's my birthday, Rikki," I sigh, "Not today."

She opens her mouth to say something but closes it, walking off with a nod and a tight smile, apparently sensing that I wasn't in the mood.

I heave a heavy breath and go back to stirring my straw mindlessly in the glass. After this whole reminder of Easton and I's situation, I had lost my appetite for the dessert in front of me but refused to waste it. After all, it was on the house and even if I didn't want it, I'll still force it down somehow.

I found myself staring at the door, hopelessly wishing for Easton's face to appear even though I knew it wouldn't happen. Based on tonight's events, he had proved yet again that this business stuff was more important to him than me.

I understood that this was his future and he wanted to keep his parents happy, but this was the first time in almost six months he was coming home to see me and my birthday on top of that. Was it so selfish of me to want him to spend more time with me?

"This seat taken?" A deep voice snaps me out of my daze and for a second, I find myself elated at the thought of it being Easton. However, much to my dismay when I turn around, it's just some random guy who looked drunker than hell.

"Yes, it is," I roll my eyes and turn back to the front, making sure I could see him out of the corner of my eye. I catch Rikki's gaze and she sends me a questioning look, alarmed at the ragged man next to me.