Chapter 2: Carter

"You are something my dude," I told Adam. Adam's a great guy, he's just so unpredictable. I looked over to Carson who was actually eating so that's good. Proud of her, I know when she slips into her severe depressive episodes she doesn't eat much at all. Carson had anxiety and what you call schizoaffective disorder. Which means she had mood shifts between depressive episodes and having hallucinations. She hears voices, that's what she's told me at least and probably Harper.

Harper wouldn't remember it because she has amnesia when she switches altars. Neither herself or any of her alters remembers anything so it must be difficult for her.

"What did I miss guys?" Harper said coming back to herself from her anxious alter Maggie.

"Just eating food and Adam's way to happy," I told her. I always try to make things funny since this isn't the happiest place in the world.

"You guys, this is crazy!" Adam said.

"What's crazy?" Harper said, bouncing like a ball in her seat.

"That food is good!" he said.

"The food is actually good tonight," Carson replied to him.

"MED TIME!" Annie yelled. We all exchange glances. I don't hate med time, I just don't want to have to take meds to feel normal. When I first got her I refused to take my meds but I've come around. I take Paxil for my major depression and social anxiety. Carson told me that she takes Risperdal or Risperidone, the same medication. I also believe that she takes Xanax as needed for her anxiety. Adam takes Lithium and Klonopin for his Bipolar Disorder and I believe it helps manage the emotional irregulation he experiences from the BPD. Harper takes the least because she is only treated with medication for her major depression and is treated with therapy I believe for her dissociative identity disorder. Which as she told me can only be treated by therapy and not with medication.

"Thanks," I told her, swallowing my pills and opening my mouth so she could see. I then stood to the side waiting for my friends to get their meds.

"Why are you sulking over here?" Carson came over with her cup of water.

"Waiting for happy mchappy pants and the bouncing ball," I told her.

"Those nicknames are hilarious. Want to go to the back lounge until bedtime?"

"Yeah, that should be fun," I responded as Harper and Adam came over.

"Do you ever stop bouncing?" I asked.

"When my meds kick in," Harper said.

"Come on guys, let's go to the back lounge!" Carson called.

"Yay ok!" Adam said, joyfully. I love the guy but I cannot wait for these two's sleeping meds to kick in.

"Are we all still going to be friends after we leave?" Harper asked, it was clear that she switched back into Maggie because she was nervously playing with the hem of her hoodie.

"Of course, I love you guys even though it's only been a week," Carson said, rubbing her hand gently.

"Yeah of course. I can make fun of you guys more," I said.

"It's not the time to joke Carter," Adam said, giving me a glare. Either his meds kicked in or his mood is rapidly cycling. Probably the latter.

"Jesus ok, my bad," I said, putting my hands up. I didn't want to have any issues with him tonight, my own mood was dropping a bit but overall much better from when I came here.

"Have you guys seen the old door?" Harper said, back to her crazy silly self.

"What door?" Carson asked while scooting her chair further in.

"The one in the back of this lounge. Since I got here I've always wanted to open the door." Harper said.

"That one?" Carson pointed to an old antique looking hospital door.

"Yeah that's the one!" she giggled.

"Can it giggle pants!" Adam snapped at her.

"Guys I think it's time to get everyone to bed," Carson said.

"What about the door?" Harper asked.

"We can check it out tomorrow," Carson told her with a smile.

"Yeah, Adam come on. Let's get you to bed," I said. He followed me without a fight tonight which was really nice.

"Have you ever noticed that door?" he asked, while we were both just sitting on our beds in our shared room.

"I think I saw it like once but never thought much of it," I told him.

"We should try and explore it," Adam suggested.

"We might get caught trying to open it," I told him worriedly.

I wanted to explore it now that Harper brought it up but was worried that we would get caught since the staff conduct regular checks every fifteen minutes. The staff and other patients really make me anxious.

"They say never to go into those things," I laughed awkwardly, not knowing how Adam was going to take it.

"It'll be a fun adventure," he said, "You're a worry wart."

"Let's get some sleep, we have a group early tomorrow morning."

The next morning we met the girls for breakfast.

"I really wish we had caffeinated coffee," Carson sighed, taking a look at her sad looking breakfast.

"You don't want Harper to have caffeine," I laughed and Harper stuck her tongue out at me.

"You're not very funny," Adam told me.

"Neither are you," I smiled back at him before he snapped at me and all of us.

"I hate you!" he said and crossed his arms.

"Dude it's not even 8am and you're already messing with the wrong man," Carson said, giving me a look.

"Don't make Adam mad before at least 12pm," I pretended to be Carson.

"Bitch I will slap you!" Carson said.

"I love Carson!" Adam said, at least now he seemed to be in his hypomanic state again or he might just have platformed Carson.

"Why can't our breakfast be happy like us," Harper beamed.

"We look happy to you?" I asked her as we all looked at her like why.

"You don't have to be a sour puss," she said.