Chapter Ten - The Break up

-3rd Person-

Neal and Peter were walking the last leg into work. Neal had told Peter that Kara had broken up with him.

"She walked out, just like that?" Peter questioned

"Just like that."

"So was it uh...." Peter tried to find the right word but struggles so Neal steps in.

"Mutual? No." Neal answered

"What did she say?" Peter wondered the odd behaviour of his friend and Agent.

"That we're different people." Neal replied

"Of course your different, that what makes life interesting." he stopped "Is there anything you're not tell me?"

"There are a lot of things I don't tell you." Neal rebuffed, he had a good guess that she had found out about the treasure and that is why she broke up with him, but most of the important stuff was unspoken and presumed.

"Neal, you just old me Kara broke up with you the same night she left town for a family emergency. You don't find that weird?"

"It's not like we were star crossed." Peter gave him a look "okay maybe a little but it's over."

"For good?"

"It's Kara." was all he answered then went for the van that was on a stake out.

-Kara-

Mom had let me dump my things in my old and unchanged room and was now making the two of us coffee while I sat at the island

"I have to say I'm surprised your here. It's been years." she placed to cups down ad sat with me

"Well I'm in a moral crisis so I thought I would come and talk with the queen of those." I smile sarcastically.

"half an hour back and it like you've never been gone." she retorted "What's the matter sweetheart." I didn't say anything.

"Look, I know we're not as close as you and your Dad.And I know I messed up but I'm still your Mom." I gave her the abbreviated not getting in any more trouble.

-----------

I paced back and forth in my room. I knew Neal had the treasure. It was a done deal, and I was an agent through and through. So why was I hesitating . I herd voice coming from downstairs, Mom had told me she wasn't filming today. I jogged downstairs and into the kitchen. Kourtney, Khole and Kim were there.

"Oh, hey." I gave a meek wave and then all hell broke loose as all three of them started shouting with Mom. I just stood there awkwardly

"I said enough, you guys. No matter what Kara has done or will do she is still my daughter and your sister. She's here for her reasons and if you don't like it, you know where the door is." Mom defended

-3rd Person-

Neal knew two things. One Peter was still looking into the treasure from the U-boat. Two Kara hadn't said anything to him. But when searching Peters office he found an envelope from Kara too Peter. It was a code and a key. After touching base with Mozzie they figured that Peter was hiding the manifest in Kara's newly pent up security apartment.

"How are you going to get in. I helped her with security it's tight and as a favour I made modifications. The code and the key is only a small fraction of what's going on at her new place." 

"I'll figure it out. Besides she's out of town."

----------

When their latest case was finished. Neal did what he thought he would not do. He broke into his ex- girlfriends place. He picked the lock and figured the code was for the alarm, and it was a generic one since she hadn't moved back in yet. He had learnt enough about Kara to not bother searching and went straight for her office. The safe she had. it was password protected. This she would have done herself.

"Come on, Kara." he whispered And looked around the office "Something memorable but not easy. You keep things close to the chest and are stubborn. It doesn't matter If you...changed your name." he smiled she was a subconscious sentimentalist. 536637 also known as Jenner. Changing her last name for purpose not comfort. She was Daddy's little girl. The safe popped open. and he found the list and took a picture of it. Also in the safe were little mementos from things they had done and a group picture of them all. His arm was wrapped around Kara who had her head tilted towards him with a broad smile. Neal's phone was ringing.

"Hey Peter, hows the stakeout?" he answered

"Jones is on a coffee run." Peter replied "Listen, that call you made before you left the office tonight."

"Yeah?"

"Was it Kara?" he wondered

"She hasn't been answering my calls." Neal answered making Peter sigh.

"Oh, that's gotta be weighing on ya."

"Yeah, it is.." Neal breathed looking at picture of her and Scott that was on her desk

"Listen, you and I have been through some stuff and we'e had to keep stuff from each other but if you need to talk  and .. you know, I mean really talk. I'm here for your." Peter told him

"Is this the loneliness of the van talking?" Neal questioned

"Maybe, But i think you deserve some happiness. Whatever I can do to help you with that let me know"

"Thanks for that." Neal replied picking up the picture

"It's alright. see you tomorrow Neal."  the call ended and Then Mozzie called, Neal lied to him about Kara having the manifest. He put the picture back down.

"I'm sorry." he mumbled then put the manifest away 

-----------------

Peter's phone rang later on after Jones returned. It was Kara, he turned slight away from him.

"Hey, how are you doing?" he answered

"Are you alone?" she dispensed with the pleasantries . She needed to say what she needed to say. "You need to be alone."

"I'll be back Jones." he left the van and walked out to a secluded part of the street. "I'm alone. What's up."

"Neal has his eyes on the treasure. All of it, Painting, Jewels and whatever else was there didn't burn. You were right." Time stopped for Peter

"How...How do you know."

"He has a live feed, I caught sight of the password and I typed it in. I'm sorry Peter." she broke down

"Hey, hey. Listen to me."

"I know as soon as I found out I should have told you but it was a shock. I thought it was gonna be something shady because let's face it it's Neal he deals in shady. But that's not all. He has a New Passport. I think he's gonna try and run. I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault okay. It's not your fault." he assured her "Look, where are you?"

"Believe it or not I'm in L.A. I feel like i'm in trouble and I run home. Go figure." she gave a strained laugh.

"Okay, take the week, gather your thoughts and everything and we will deal with this when you get back. Okay?"

"You're not gonna go after him."

"Well, I need to register what you just told me and I'll come up with a game plan. Get some rest okay."

"Okay. Bye." she hung up and Peter let out a grunt of frustration