Chapter 18

Houses in Lothlorien were like a river, flowing from one side to the other, some high up closer to the sky while others below, closer to the ground. The lights at night were just as amazing as the stars shining upon them. The house that welcomed was 's, younger sister of . It was situated somewhere in the middle, not as high as Arwen's but safe from the danger of the ground. It had a little balcony that oversaw a pond and much like in Imladris, Mistril found comfort and joy in that corner.

It was a rare sight. The orange-haired elleth was working away, sketching the face of an elf with red hair and eyes so green that it looked like nature was talking through him. He had a smile that could soften up anyone and a hair clasp above his right ear. She smiled as she contoured his chin, her heart crying although her eyes could not.

"Is he someone you met in Imladris?" Eloen asked, sitting next to her guest.

Mistril glanced at her and realized that the blonde pure elleth was the same age as her when Gondolin was attacked and she was taken by orcs. Eloen was very young but her expression seemed to be stuck into a frown. Her long hair was cascading over her shoulders and her eyes were the colour of a bright sunny sky.

"No, this is my older brother, . He died a long time ago, in battle. An orc cut his head off right in front of me."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Eloen said, her blue eyes filling with pity.

"He used to spare with me when I was young. I cannot remember doing much in my youth except training to become a warrior." Her smile dropped as she remembered what was her reason to fight back then. "I never thought about what would happen if I ever made it into Glorfindel's army."

"Lord Glorfindel, the Balrog slayer?" Eloen asked her eyes widening. "I have heard about him and his courage. He was sent back by the Valar after he sacrificed his life to save his people." She said, her enthusiasm overflowing and eyes sparkling even more than before.

Mistril smiled softly and sighed as she realized her feelings for Glorfindel have changed quite a lot. As an elfling, all she wanted to do was be around him, with him, fight for him, at one point she must have had even higher hopes for her relationship with him. But that seemed to silly now.

"Elves from every land admire him. He is a brave, loyal and powerful elf and he is of noble blood. Anyone would bath in the honour of being his friend." Mistril said, her voice growing colder as memories of her torture replaced the ones of her childhood.

"You sound like you resent him."

"I can't help it. My brothers fought in his army, I would go and visit them every single day. For many years, I used to go and see him almost every day and he forgot about me. I had to throw myself into the hands of the only person who reached out towards me. If only it was someone, anyone, but a human..." Mistril said, her eyes narrowing at the mix of emotions in her heart.

"Is that why you are in Lorien? Lord Celeborn told me not to ask you question about your past but I couldn't help myself when I saw you. Your light is fading." Eloen admitted, her honesty making Mistril glance at her wrists. Eloen did not notice them but it was only a matter of time.

"I came with Arwen's brothers from Imladris on a task from their father. I am not sure what it really is but I am happy I came. This place makes me feel like home." She said and smiled, her eyes sparkling.

"I'm glad." Eloen said before her eyes fell on Mistril's drawing. "I'm sure your brother would have been proud of what you have become."

Although Eloen was only trying to comfort the lonely elleth, Mistril's light flickered once more.

That night, Mistril lied in bed with her eyes wide open as she thought about what she saw in the basin. Could that really be her future? Falling in love only to know she will never be loved back? Why couldn't she live in the same solitude she has been living in so far? If that was indeed her punishment, or part of it, maybe she should change it by choosing another path. She's been away for a long time and hadn't seen him in over 1000 years so maybe the future was going to change.