At last they were safely in the conservatory suite. The bedrooms were beneath the skylit conservatory itself. No light shone down the stairs; Sabrina wondered if Tassan had been forbidden to work there at night for fear of giving away the fact that it was occasionally inhabited.

He was waiting for them in the smallest bedroom, looking grimly amused when he saw Sabrina. He stood and bowed with a flourish, and she saw that he was wearing a plainly cut black tunic and trousers. "So she didn't talk you into a uniform after all," Sabrina said by way of greeting.

"No. On reflection, I think she hoped that the three of us might be mistaken for a spoiled princeling and his two attractive bodyguards," Tassan grimaced.

Darice choked, and Sabrina smiled a little. "Does that mean you're sleeping in the master bedroom?"

"Oh no, I've put her ladyship to bed in there already."

Sabrina looked questioningly at him, and Darice said, "There are three dummies, all giving off fake lifesigns. If they get into your rooms and find that one, then come here and find another, most likely they won't bother to search the rest of this suite. They'll think you're somewhere else entirely. This bedroom is masked to sensors, by the way."

"The shell game," Sabrina murmured. "Remind me not to play poker with Mukryilla. Or, God forbid, chess!"

Neither of the Praxatillians had the faintest idea what she was talking about, so she continued, "So, O Masters of Deception, what next?"

"Next," Darice said, "I'm going into the tunnels to scout a few likely places to bivouac. I'll be back in a few hours at most, and then I'll occupy my cot in the dressing room. Citizen Nikolar will stay in here with you at all times and shoot anybody who comes through the door."

"Except you, I trust," Sabrina said.

"We have our signals worked out," Tassan assured her. "Good night, Major."

"Safe watching, Citizen. Good night, ma'am."

"Good night, Darice," Sabrina said.

Tassan grinned at Darice. "I don't think you should be addressing her as ma'am when you clearly outrank her."

Darice grimaced. "Right. Make that good night, Lieutenant, then."

"Good night, ma'am," Sabrina responded promptly.

Darice sighed and left through the main bedroom door. Sabrina said, "Is there a tunnel entrance in this room?"

Tassan nodded. "In the back of that armoire. But we won't use it unless we have to, so we don't accidentally call attention to it."

Sabrina nodded in understanding and began restlessly walking around the room, examining the faded furnishings. She wondered who had last slept here. These apartments had last belonged to Mara's grandmother, the Guardian Lilonwy, so probably one of her attendants had occupied this room. Perhaps a young Imari, or one of Selémahs' ancestors, Sabrina thought idly. It was a sober room, more functional than anything else, but perhaps it had once been decorated to the taste of its occupant.

Tassan had seated himself near the door and was watching her. "You should get some sleep," he said.

"I know. I'm dead tired, but somehow I doubt I can sleep."

"You've been keyed up all day," he said. "You need to relax before you can sleep. And don't tell me you can't. A good soldier learns how to sleep even before the biggest battles."

"I never said I was a good soldier," Sabrina replied.

"But you are," Tassan told her. "I thought so, watching you this morning. It took a great deal of courage and discipline. It made me proud to know you."