They bowed and greeted them with smiles. Karna also introduced her to a few commoners. Subhadra was amazed to see him interact with them with such ease and familiarity. Where most Kings remained aloof from the common people, Karna liked to know and interact with them. And their fondness and adoration for Karna was also clearly visible.

"How are you Shama kaki?" Karna asked an older women who sat in the yard of a small hut. Subhadra understood she was blind.

"Maharaj? It's you?" She asked as a smile instantly lightened her face.

"How have you been? And how many times will I have to tell you not to call me Maharaj?" Karna asked sitting beside her on earth. Subhadra watched them standing beside. The guards remained near being familiar with this unusual behaviour of their King.

"I will call you Maharaj only, putra. Because it makes me happy that we have you as our King. And I am fine now that you've come back. We all missed and remembered you a lot." The woman replied pleasingly.

"Sthira? This is Shama kaki. She makes excellent earthen lamps." Karna introduced her to the woman.

"Pranam, Kaki." Subhadra greeted her.

"Pranam. Maharaj! You've brought Maharani also?! That too in this poor hut." Shama kaki became restless thinking where would she even offer the Maharani to sit.

"Kaki, if I haven't come here, I would be deprived from your blessings, wouldn't I? Now don't take tension for me and relax." Subhadra said smiling at her and sat on her opposite side.

"I heard you're really beautiful Maharani. But unfortunately I can't see you, but your voice speaks of the purity and beauty of your heart. Just like Maharaj's voice speaks of strength and kindness. May God always keep you together and happy." Kaki said being pleased with her amiable nature.

They chit chatted a little more and then left. Subhadra got to know from Karna that Shama's one and only son was a soldier in Anga's army. But unfortunately he died in a war a few years ago, leaving her all alone. Being the proud woman, she wanted to live independently rather than taking help from the treasury. So, Karna made sure all her lamps were sold in a generous price and she didn't have to go without.

Subhadra felt her heart swelling in happiness. She had heard many praises of him, but witnessing his kindness and generosity made her respect him more.

"Parnipat, Maharaj. Parnipat Maharani." A man greeted them as they were passing a statue shop.

"Pranam. Sthira, this is Bhattara. He is a renowned artisan. His statues are very demanded." Karna introduced her to the man.

"That is all due to your blessings Maharaj. Subjects can only have a peaceful and prosperous life when the King is kind, liberal and fair." Bhattara said.

"How is your work going on?" Karna asked.

"It's all good. If you don't mind Maharaj, I have specially made a small gift for you both. Can I present it to you?" The man asked folding his hands.

"Yes, of course." Karna permitted with a smile.

Bhattara took a medium sized statue wrapped in cloth from the shop and handed it to Karna respectfully. Karna signed Subhadra to unwrap it and see. As Subhadra unwrapped the statue, she saw it was a beautifully crafted idol of lord Vishnu with Sheshnag made of copper. She smiled brightly taking the idol in her hand.