𝟏𝟒 ∘ don't freeze

I know it's a bit of a retelling at the moment, but there are important distinctions and changes I've made that I wouldn't be able to do without doing this. Hope you guys are cool with that

——————————

∙∙·▫▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫𝐉𝐎𝐄𝐋▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫▫·∙∙

Joel and Aimee headed inside, Aimee recruiting Joel in helping her to pack as they spoke. Joel did so without complaint, more than happy to lend a hand.

"Pretty nice here, you know," he said as he pulled some clothes out of a drawer, unsure of how to start the conversation. "Why, uh. . . why do you have to leave?"

"It's beautiful. It's just not safe," Aimee explained as she took the clothes from him and began to store them in bags.

"Right."

"Everyone's afraid. Even your bunker got breached and you're all young and strong."

"Yeah. Hey, Aimee?" Joel nodded, before walking over to the girl to get her to just talk to him for a moment. He needed to be honest with himself.
"Sorry. I know you got, like, a lot going on, but, uh, I need to tell you-"

"Listen, Joel," Aimee said, interrupting him. "Talking to you on the radio was such a nice escape from the stress of running this colony. And, um. . . I mean, you're probably the only person left alive from my old life. From Fairfield. I didn't think you'd actually come here."

This made Joel stop, forgetting what he was going to say for that moment. "Wait, you didn't think I'd come?"

"And I am so happy to see you," Aimee smiled, telling the truth. "I'm just not. . . I'm not the same person that I used to be, you know? Seven years, that's a long time. I've lost people. My mum, my friends and last year I lost someone. . . and he meant a lot to me."

Joel nodded, taking a deep breath, "Well, this is about to be so doubly awkward for us."

"What do you mean?" Aimee asked, confused. This wasn't the direction she thought this would take.

"Well, obviously I should've asked you before I came here, but I just got so excited," Joel started to explain. "But then I actually started to come here, and I met people. I met someone. That girl I told you about over the radio. . ."

"Delilah?" Aimee clarified, figuring her to be the one he'd mentioned several times since arriving.

He nodded, "Yeah, Delilah. Delilah Moon. And I kept coming here because I thought that I was gonna come and sweep you off your feet and she came with me; her and her dog. We became really good friends, but I realised that it's more than that. I want more than that. She just. . . she snuck up on me."

Aimee smiled softly, putting a hand on his shoulder. "So you found someone that meant a lot to you as well?"

"Yeah," he confirmed with a sad laugh. "And like you, I lost her."