06: Getting to Know Each Other

Mulai dari awal

"Oh, New! You're here. Is that the shirt?"

I heard footsteps. Oh my God, I can feel him behind me.

I cleared my throat before I spoke.

"Uhmm, yeah. Sorry, that's the only shirt I have. Here, take it." I extended my arms towards him without turning around.

"Are you okay, New? Why aren't you turning around?"

Because I don't want to accidentally gawk at your body, that's why!

"Uhmm. get dressed first."

He took the shirt and didn't respond for a while

"Done."

I turned around and laughed as soon as I saw him mimicking the cat in the shirt.

"I like your shirt." He stood up straight and held the hem of the shirt as he looked at it. "Where did you buy it?"

I bit my lower lip and thought for a second.

"Uhmm, I had it customized. Cats are my favorite creatures in the world."

I didn't notice that I was smiling as I think about the neighborhood cats I feed.

"Looking at you right now, I believe you. Thanks for letting me borrow it."

"No worries. And uhmm, Tay, thank you. For a while ago. You didn't have to do that."

"I know you could handle her New. That's why I did not step in. But then I saw her taking the lid off the cup and I just know what she's about to do so I stepped in."

I put my right hand on my nape and stroked it a bit.

"Uhmm, want to have lunch? with me?? There's a Chinese restaurant nearby. It's my treat. As a sign of gratitude for your help a while ago."

"There's no need, New. I'm fine."

"Please? I insist."

He thought for a while and eventually gave in.

"Okay. Let me just fix my things then I'll wait for you outside."

"Great! Let me just grab my things from my office."

I bid him temporary goodbye before he left the kitchen.

---

- Tay's POV -

I look at the guy in front of me as he scans the menu.

"You know, New. I've been meaning to ask. How could you remember my name? When I came by yesterday, you didn't even ask for my name and you just wrote it on the cup."

He didn't respond for a few seconds. "Oh! Uhmm, well your name is easy to remember, Tay. It's just one syllable." I heard him chuckle before he called for a waiter.

Yeah. Of course. What am I expecting by asking that?

Soon after, we were already eating shabu-shabu.

"Hey, New."

"Hmm?" He responded without looking at me as he blew on his soup.

"How long have you been working in the cafe?"

He looked at me and smile. Damn, his smile looks so cute!

"I don't just work there, Tay. I own it."

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. Literally.

"You do? Wait. How old are you?" New laughed and I internally face palmed myself.