Chapter 22

It still amazed him.

Birthdays, Christmases, anniversaries of their parents' death, Finn was absent. Lost to Simon and Delora in a foreign land, never knowing where he was or if he was safe. Always the fear he was in danger. The rare times he did get to see his brother, the situation was always strained, like being on American soil burned Finn's feet.

Now it was different. Without a thought, Simon could hop in his car and less than a half an hour later walk round the back of his brother's house, slap the man on the back, talk to him. At first, he'd politely knocked on the bright red front door to the lake house, waited to be let in. But soon enough that became too formal. No need for it, just come around through the kitchen, he was told. The side door never locked–open to family. And for the first time in a long time, Simon had a family again.

Rounding the house, he spotted Emily sitting on a lounger, completely covered by the shade of a giant umbrella the colour of the ocean.

"You all alone?"

"Finn's driving Mary to the station."

Panic licked at Simon's heart. Was she gone? No, he hadn't had enough time. Their one date had ended abruptly, and with Emily's illness, they hadn't had a chance to go out again. Or do anything again. Not even a stolen kiss. Okay, there had been some compassionate hugs, which he had to admit were pretty amazing, despite the circumstances. To hold Mary, feel her melt into him, was a dream come true. When she put her arms around him, the sensation of being whole sank in. A man could get addicted. Oh, who was he fooling? He was addicted.

"Don't worry," Emily smiled. "She'll be back."

"Oh." The panic subsided a little. When? A week? Would he have to wait months?

"She's babysitting for Beth and Lance. They needed a date night."

"That's generous of her."

"Despite popular belief, my sister does have a beating heart under her hard exterior. But of course, you of all people already know this."

His hand reached for his temple, rubbing small circles into the skin. "Is it that obvious?"

Simon wanted to say more. It was not like he could talk to Finn about this. His brother's attitude towards Mary may have turned from ice to a slightly frosty over the past week. Mary's attention to her sister's needs, to Finn's wants, the cause. Still, he doubted Finn would be open to a conversation about Simon's feelings towards the woman who, as Finn constantly reminded him, had caused the newlyweds to lose eight years of their lives together.

Emily invited Simon to sit on the lounger beside her, with a pat on the sea-shell patterned cushion. "Don't look so sad. It's a good thing."

Taking the offer, he perched on the edge of the seat. "It... it doesn't bother you?"

"Why would it?"

"Well... we... isn't it a constant reminder of... what we did."

"Simon, I told you, the past is in the past." Emily placed her hand on her stomach. "I live in the present and look to the future."

"But... Finn?"

"My husband is trying too, as well. I mean, he is driving Mary to the station today. Did you ever think they would voluntarily get into a car together, just the two of them?"

He smiled along with his sister-in-law. "Not in a million years."

"We only want our family to be happy. And you're both part of the family." She leaned toward him. "An important part."