Chapter 7

A friendly face beamed up from her phone's screen and Mary eagerly answered the call. "Sophie!"

"Mar – I'm not interrupting, am I?"

Mary looked around the deserted art gallery. "Not at all. Haven't seen a soul all day."

Her job had many perks, especially the commission when she sold a piece and the two-month vacation in the summer. Still, one of its drawbacks was the long hours spent by herself. But she was used to being alone.

After a quick catch-up, Mary asked her best friend what she was dying to know. "So... I missed you at breakfast after the wedding. Did you get a chance to hang off that tree branch?"

Sophie laughed, "That fine specimen disappeared on me before I got the chance."

Mary was relieved. The last thing she needed was more military men in her life. Her sister's husband was enough. If Sophie got involved with one, she'd be inundated with them. But then, Sophie never got involved with any man.

"Still, a girl has needs." This was Sophie's code for a random hook up she never intended to see again. "But did I see you dancing with a tall, dark and handsome?"

Mary couldn't stop the smile from spreading across her face at the mention of Hunter. After their first dance, they'd spent the rest of the evening together. Mary would have like to have taken him up to her room, but Hunter was more than a one-night stand.

He had potential.

"You did. Oh, Sophie, he's so perfect." Mary filled her friend in on what she'd discovered.

Hunter Locklear grew up in California, was of indigenous heritage on his father's side and entered the military at eighteen. A quick internet search also told her, he'd earned a law degree and had a passion for environmental issues. Making him a perfect fit as the Chief of Staff for the new Senator from California who ran on a green platform. He lived in Washington D. C. permanently and true to her father's word, Hunter was making a name for himself in politics. There was article after article touting his political savvy and hinting at future prospects.

"Your dad sure can pick 'em."

Mary beamed. "Dad thinks he could go all the way. I mean it's way too early for that kind of talk... Can you imagine me as First Lady?" She sure could.

"Kinda can. You have that whole Jackie O thing going on."

"What do you mean?"

"Well just that you can package things well - make everything appear perfect."

Mary wasn't sure Sophie's words were a compliment. "Thanks, I think."

"C'mon, Mar you know what I mean. It's like the gallery. You know exactly where to place everything so potential customers see things in their best light."

Mary looked at the artwork hanging on the walls around her, the sculptures perched under spotlights, the vase of fresh pink lilies on her desk handing down like a natural chandelier. Yes, she knew how to set a scene, to entice a purchase.

"Has he called yet?"

The smile on Mary's face fell. "No. It's been three days. Should I call him?"

Sophie was laughing again. "Absolutely!"

"I'll think about it." Making the first move might appear desperate. Mary was used to men chasing after her, not the other way around. Was she losing her looks? Would Hunter be her last chance at the life she sought? Shaking her head, she changed the subject. "Drinks on Thursday? I've discovered this new winery Icel. Their red is to die for."