Chapter 16

The sun shone, the sky cloudless, and Simon had a date with Mary. He couldn't keep the smile off his face.

Today began with a tour of his new business, a local winery. A few months ago, he'd been looking for the next adventure to add to his little empire of companies. His business collection started with the purchase of the Waterfront Café. What was only a job, a way to make a living changed when he became the manager, running the place on his own for years. When the owner stated they wanted to sell, the leap from manager to owner had seemed daunting, but Simon took the risk, and the reward was sweet.

Within three years, the restaurant turned enough profit to venture another risk. The Seashell was a small, intimate bar two towns over, desperately in need of a makeover. Next came Al's Place in Brookfield, which Simon promptly renamed My Place to appease the locals, then The Cupcake Café in Bridgetown, partnering with the capable Hope. And now Wainwright Winery.

Putting the family name on the vineyard would seem vain to some, but Simon looked at it as a new beginning for the winery and the small group of people bearing the name. He hoped someday he could convince Delora to leave Buffalo, move here and help him run the place. Offer a better future for his nephew. Give Finn something to be proud of him for. A legacy for Emily and Finn's children. For if there was one thing Simon knew for sure, it was Finn wanted kids–lots of them. They both did. Finn had a chance.

"The vines look healthy." Turner held a bright green leaf in between two fingers. The older man managed the day-to-day operation of the winery, providing the expertise needed to cultivate the dilapidated vines back to life. Unlike his early ventures, Simon could afford to hire experts now.

Simon tapped the man on the shoulder. "You've done an outstanding job in a short time."

"Mother Nature did most of the work." Turner turned his face to the sky. Simon followed, soaking in the warm rays. Turner was being modest. Simon heard reports of Turner working overtime and had the security video to prove it. Once again, Simon thanked whatever fates had sent Turner his way. How to properly reward his manager was already on his mind.

"It's been a good year. Let's hope the rest of the summer sizzles."

"Yes, let's hope."

All the talk of hope reminded Simon of last night. The woman of the same name had come into the bar around 9pm, a bit of a rarity for the baker whose schedule had her up before the sunrise to get the first round of breads and donuts ready for the morning crowd. Guilt once again spiked in his veins at the sight of her, of what he'd done. But as usual, one conversation with Hope and she made everything better.

He'd started to apologize. "Listen, I know this is overdue, but I wanted to explain, no apologize, for what happened... the night I came over to your house."

"The night you passed out in my bed?"

Simon found her honest hazel eyes. "Um... yes. My memory is a tad hazy as to the... um particulars of that night- "

She placed a warm hand on his. "Nothing happened."

"What?"

"Not for lack of trying on my part. But you weren't interested."

Simon hung his head in his hands, "Oh no. What did I do?"

"Well, you showed up drunk and empty-handed. I was a bit upset about the latter. I mean, the least you could do was share." Hope took one of his hands and tugged. He let his hands drop to the bar and met her smiling gaze. "Then you spend quite a lot of time telling me the special qualities of a woman named Mary."

Simon closed his eyes and winced. "I didn't."

"You did. I have to say there wasn't a lot I understood. There was an entire speech about the colour pink that went over my head."

After a groan, Simon opened his mouth to apologize, but Hope held up her hand. "It was quite entertaining." Her eyes shone and Simon knew her well enough to know she wasn't just being kind. "Then things got a little... odd."

"I'm afraid to ask."

"Well, you took off all your clothes and climbed into my bed."

Head back in hands, Simon shook his it. "Oh Hope, you must hate me."

"Well, I hated the fact you hogged all the covers. It's quite the trick you have, one moment you were babbling about libraries being your favourite place in the world–a fact I didn't know about you having never seen you read a book by the way–and the next you were out cold. I couldn't move you an inch." Her mouth split into a wide grin. "I considered sleeping on the floor, but it is my apartment, and since we'd spent many a night sleeping side-by-side, I figured one more wouldn't bother anyone. Oh, and then there was the snoring."

"I snored!"

"The train through town at noon makes less noise."

Simon couldn't help laughing along with Hope. A mixture of relief with the news he hadn't slept with her that night, elation his terrible behaviour didn't bother her and embarrassed at his own folly. In the midst of it all, a strange joy over the knowledge he hadn't betrayed Mary surfaced. Not that there was anything to betray. They weren't together. Yet. "That bad, huh?"

"Worse." Her laughter faded. "I thought you might drop by the Café for my hangover cure, but you ghosted me."

This took the wind out of Simon's sails, the smile slipping from his face. "Hope I..."

"I know, you're sorry."

"But I am," Simon leaned in, his arms on the bar. "Really. I... I needed a friend, and you came to mind. You could have tossed me out, probably should have. And how do I repay my friend? By not being very friendly. Can you find it in that big, beautiful heart of yours to forgive me?"

As so often before, Simon got honesty from her. "Of course, my friend."

Simon rounded the bar and offered her a hug. As the brunette stepped into his arms, a sense of ease engulfed him. Hope was special, amazing, and someday she'd find a man who'd appreciate everything she had to offer. And he'd be happy for that man.

"Come inside and see your new fermenters." Turner's voice broke the memory. The man already walking in the direction of the main building. "They came in yesterday."

Simon happily followed his employee, a spring in his step at the possibilities the future offered.