Chapter 12

His brother swayed as he pulled a fistful of beer bottles from the fridge.

Simon didn't know if he'd ever seen Finn under the influence of alcohol. The few times he was stateside, for holidays or vacation, his baby brother wound so tight he'd often wished he could get him drunk, get him to unclench.

But here before him now, Finn qualified as relaxed. More than relaxed. He'd passed tipsy a bottle ago, making a play for happily inebriated. Ocean blue eyes took time to focus as Finn held out a beer which swayed in time with the music no one else could hear. Was this the influence of the posse of military men currently carousing in the backyard?

"Thanks. Maybe we should sit down?"

Finn shook his head, which led to more swaying. Simon set down his beer, guided his brother into the adjoining family room, and plopped him down in an overstuffed leather chair. He tried to pry the beer out of Finn's hand but met with resistance. "How about we switch this for some water?"

"Like you care," mumbled Finn.

The words stabbed at Simon's heart. Had these last few weeks proved nothing? Braving the cold shoulders, showing up week after week, making his favourite food, attending this party when he should be two towns over, making sure his latest venture wasn't sputtering out.

Thing was, Finn didn't know anything about him either. Despite the time they recently spent together. Never talked about anything serious, real. There was always this lump of pain they were chained to blocking any chance at... well, becoming brothers again.

Outside, one of the party goers gave a loud "Hoora". With Finn's buddies around, the gap was exaggerated, yawning between him and the close-knit brotherhood his baby brother had with these men who weren't blood. They knew Finn, though. Knew him in ways Simon never could.

Now was not the time to have a heart to heart, but he had to try. "I care, Finn. You have to believe me."

"Like I believed you when you told me she didn't call."

Simon opened his mouth to deny it. Then closed it again because there was nothing to deny. Emily called the restaurant every day from Japan, begged Simon to tell Finn she'd come home soon. For him. Every time Simon lied, promising to deliver the message. He never did. Didn't want to give his brother hope. If the plan was to work, they needed to be separated. Little did Simon know it would take eight years for them to get back together.

"How could you do it?" Finn stared at his brother; the relaxed, tipsy vibe gone. "You knew what she meant to me. You knew..."

He did. Saw the way Finn looked at Emily and vice versa that summer. Was jealous of it. Still was. He realized too late what a mistake it was to interfere, even if it was for the right reasons. By the time he tried to fix it, Finn was too far gone. Unreachable. Literally. A continent away, committed to a new life, communication silence for months.

Finn returned to the country a year later and Simon itched to confess, set things right. But Finn cut him off if Simon even got close to mentioning Emily's family, never mind the woman himself. Simon had to decide between the truth and a relationship with his brother. He chose his brother. He had so little family, he couldn't lose him any more than he already had.

Simon looked at Finn now, pain swimming in the those blue irises, regretting his weakness back then. This would always be between them. 

Maybe if he tried to explain they'd have a chance.

"Yes," Simon scraped his hand over his face. "I saw it all. You and Emily were happy. But you were living in a bubble. A summer romance doesn't survive the fall."

"It wasn't just some romance. I love her!"

He tried not to flinch at the anger in his brother's voice. Sitting down across from him, Simon took a breath and softly spoke to counter the ire.

"I know. But it was too much too soon. I was worried. For both of you. Emily had her whole future ahead of her, was off to Yale. There were plans, expectations. But she was rearranging her life. Living off campus because of you. Compromising because of you."

"It was an apartment, Simon."

"What if she dropped out?"

"I wouldn't have let her."

"What if she got pregnant?"

"I...," Finn's eyes widened and then shrank into slits. "Stop talking in what ifs. What if I'd never come back to the states for that trial? We'd both still be miserable. You took away eight years of our lives."

"And I'm so sorry. I didn't... I thought... It made sense at the time. You were from different worlds. She..."

"Don't you dare say she deserved better."

Simon's head swam and his stomach clutched like someone had punched him. How could Finn say such a thing? "I would never say that. You don't actually believe I think that do you?"

Finn took a swig of his drink, silence speaking volumes.

"Finn, you're her equal in every regard. You are now and you were then." Another sip of the beer, long and furious. With the bottle empty, Finn grasped it between his two hands,  fingers turning white. Simon didn't want to, but they were in it now. Best to get it all out. "I was going to say she convinced me it was for the best."

"Perfectly Pink?" Finn spat the two words like they contained venom.

"Yes. Mary. I wasn't thinking straight when she was around. She made it all sound so... logical. Like I was protecting you." As a big brother should. "I... I let her influence me."

Finn huffed, "Still do."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Man, get over yourself. Do you think we can't all see it? The lust in your eyes when she walks into the room." Finn swung the empty bottle between them. "That witch has you wrapped around her finger."

Simon swallowed. Was it really that obvious?

"Wrapped around who's finger?" Simon jumped at Emily's voice. The petite red head glided across the room, tapped Simon on the shoulder on the way by and perched on the arm of Finn's chair. She leaned down to kiss her husband on the cheek and then lingered, a soft 'hey' escaping her lips.

For a moment Finn wouldn't look at her. She traced a finger down his cheek, a gentle nudge to face her. He acquiesced, his chest heaving. Emily took his face in both her hands, Simon or anyone else for that matter forgotten. Everything focused on her husband. "I'm here." Finn wrapped his arms around her and buried his face in the crook of her neck. Emily slid into his lap and gently stroked his back, whispering words Simon couldn't make out into her husband's ear.

Simon silently rose and snuck out of the room. With a gentle tug, he closed the door, giving the couple some privacy. He turned to return to the party and bumped right into Mary.