Chapter 14

Simon knew it would take more than one attempt to get Mary to go out with him. Sure he'd been disappointed she hadn't jumped at the chance when he asked her on a date. But Mary was worth it. He had to try, really try. Give it everything he had.

She ignored him for the rest of the BBQ. Not a cute, flirty, passive-aggressive ignoring like from earlier in the day. No long looks or seductive sucking on a straw. It was all hard, cold shoulder. She was good at it too. His resolve almost broke. At one point he considered locking her in the hallway closet, getting down on his knees and begging Mary to let him kiss her.

But then he caught Finn watching him, and his brother's words came back to him. Rattling around in his brain. Maybe just maybe if his baby brother saw him stand up to Mary it might help chip away at the wall of ice between them.

Besides, it felt right. He hadn't planned on the gamble. Had been perfectly happy following Mary to her room, excited about getting to hold her, touch her, be with her. And when her lips locked on his, everything finally felt right. Like he was whole again. Then it hit him: he wanted, no needed, this feeling to last more than a few stolen moments. He wanted all of her.

So Simon stayed strong.

Weathered the storm known as Mary. 

He hadn't seen her in days.

The door to the bar office creaked open. Simon didn't look up from his laptop. "You can leave it on the desk, Tim."

"Desk works for me."

The hairs on the back of his neck stood up at the sound of Mary's voice. Looking up, he found it hard to breathe.

What was she wearing? Or not wearing was more like it. The slip of a dress so short the flimsy material barely hit the top of her thighs. And speaking of tops, the thin ribbon holding up the material attempting to cover her breast was straining to win the battle. The hot pink number caused his mouth to water as she sauntered towards him.

"M-," he cleared his throat and tried again. "Mary. Hi."

She slid in beside him, hiking herself upon his desk. "Simon." The single word, breathy and full of promise. Long slender legs swung back and forth before her foot squeezed in between his legs, turning his swivel chair so he faced her. "Missed me?"

It was their ritual, the game they used to play when she came into town. Her slipping away from her friends and ending up in his office. Next move was his, compliment her, make her feel special. The words were on his lips, but he bit down. With his feet, he pushed the chair back and out of her reach. "Always." 

There was no point lying to her. She'd see through him. To put space between them, he stood up and moved to the other side of the desk. A different kind of game started.

To her credit, she didn't skip a beat, jumping off the desk and stalked him like a cat would a mouse. "I'm here now. Let's not waste time with silly games."

If it didn't hurt so much, he might have laughed. Everything was a game between them. All she did was toy with him. He hadn't admitted it to himself, but the conversation with his brother forced him to face facts. "I agree. No more games."

A manicured finger reached out and landed on the top button of his shirt. Baby-pink nail against white cotton. "So we agree then." She stepped closer, the finger becoming a hand on his chest. The warmth of her hand mixed with her scent. He'd never quite figured out the fresh, flowery fragrance. Probably a good thing because he'd bet it was expensive and he'd probably buy out the entire store he was so addicted to it.

She leaned in.

He leaned out.

But he couldn't quite manage the courage to remove her hand from his chest. "So... you'll go out with me?"

"This again." Mary cocked her head to the side and signed dramatically. "Really?"

"Yes, really."

"Simon." Why was it when she said his name something deep down inside him switched on? Every. Damned. Time.

"Mary." He wished his benediction of her name had the same effect.

Brilliant blue eyes widened as they stared back at him. Maybe he had an effect on her after all. Taking a gamble, he pressed his advantage. He placed his hand over hers, wrapped the other around her waist and spinning her around, pressed her against the office wall. His body screamed in delight as their torsos collided. Her chest rose in a sharp intake of breath. It felt good.

"Please," Mom always did say manners were important, "go out with me."

His heart rate ticked up a notch. He wasn't sure if it was the close proximity to her or the bob of her throat as she reacted to his actions and repeated request. Either way, he was pretty sure he was having an effect on her. This might work.

He should have known Mary wouldn't give up so easily. Nothing was easy with Mary. And he kind of liked it. It made the prize all the sweeter.

"Why, when we could so easily get what we both want right now," she ground against him, sliding her free hand up his arm, over his shoulder and onto the nape of his neck.

Oh, so unfair. He closed his eyes and rode out the shiver slithering down his spine. She knew him so well. Knew what turned him on. Two can play at that game.

He did his best to ignore the slow circles she drew at the base of his neck. Ignore the throbbing starting below his belt. With plodding precision, he slid his hand down her waist, over her hip and found the hem of her short skirt. A light brush across her skin resulted in a small "yes" as she shifted her leg to grant him better access.

Let her think she was winning, he thought. His eyes found hers again, locking on to them as he unearthed the soft skin of her inner thigh. He matched the pace she set out on the nape of his neck, but instead of swirling, he ran his finger up and then down in feather-light touches. He teased her, his finger inching a little higher with each stroke. Another "yes" sprang from her lips.

Her lips were so close, right there for the taking. The slightest move and he'd be lost to her. Another brush up her thigh resulted in a low growl and, "I want you," poured from her mouth.

Now was his chance. "One date and you can have me."