under the stars

Comincia dall'inizio

"What are you doing up here?" I ask. She sits up to look at me.

"Getting away for a bit."

"I see."

"Why are you up here?"

"I guess I needed a break too." I say as I sit next to her.

"What's wrong?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just a bit drunk probably."

"I can tell."

"No you can't."

"You haven't moved your hair behind your ears. You do that when you're drunk. You've also got the weird crevices on your forehead, which means you're stressed." I blush.

"So you notice things?" I say as I move my hair back.

"Only things that I want to notice."

"I see."

"So what are you stressed about?"

"I- I don't know. Have you ever wanted something, but you know it's so wrong for you?"

"Yeah, I guess." She replies as she gets up and walks over to the side of the roof.

"Yeah, that's how I'm feeling." I walk towards her as I watch her climb the railing and stand on it.

"I think.. you should do whatever you want." She holds out her arms to balance herself, and it gives me anxiety because I feel like she's going to fall.

"I think you should get off."

"Why? I feel so free!" She yells into the night sky. There is a light breeze, and the stars are sparkling. Suddenly I don't want this night to end. There was something about being over here that just felt right.

"You're going to-" Devyn falls over into my arms and scrapes her knee.

"I told you." I say. She sits back down and sighs. Sitting next to her, I realize how vulnerable she looked right now.

"If life went exactly as we planned or wanted, we wouldn't change because we wouldn't need to. And that isn't life." She says breaking the silence.

"True. I just wished some things didn't change. I feel like the only certain thing in life is uncertainty." Devyn lets out a chuckle. Her face glows under the moonlight.

"Life is lived in the mess. The building. The breaking. All of it."

"Yeah."

"But you shouldn't worry, you've got Ash."

"And you have Iris." We sit in silence again, staring at the stars.

"How come I know nothing about you?" She asks, and my heart starts to beat faster.

"You never ask."

"But you know everything about me, and I haven't told you."

"Circumstance. I wouldn't be here if you hadn't gone after that Rune."

"Fair." I can feel Devyn's energy all around me, and I think I finally understood why people gravitate towards her.

"Well, I have a million of secrets but I'm the only one important enough to know them all."

"Oh really?" She replies playfully.

"Mhmm."

"Well, what was your first impression of me?"

"I thought you were mean, bitchy, cocky, stuck-up, and rude."

"Not surprising."

"But I also thought you were fierce, strong, confident, and insanely ...hot." This time she turns to look at me with a smile.