Tweeneyayte

Even if this year is starting to rattle into a major blur, there are certain days where I can just remember every little detail, regardless of how long it may have been.

"Ro ro.." Dad shakes my twelve year old shoulder.

"You got the part.."

I open my eyes.

"You will be the next Super Snail on Super Snail Go Go. Over a hundred kids auditioned and you got it. They want you. Go get dressed, bud. We are going to visit the studio today."

I feel excited but not without a pit in my stomach.

"Come.." Dad taps my shoulder again.

I slip out of bed and I could still perfectly visualize the Mattituck Middle School Hockey League t-shirt I wore with black adidas pants and a baseball cap. I was even a hat boy back then.. Also, now that I think about it the hat was a sample from the company we ended up using for my bar mitzvah which would have been later on that school year.

"Ok, Rony..You are going to meet your manager Ed and some of the cast members for your meet and greet and a read through. They are all expecting you and are really excited."

I just listen to my dad as we ride in the car.

There was a period of time in middle school where I was super quiet, even with my own family. I was always outgoing and talkative when I was younger and I'm pretty confident and witty now, but I guess the issue back then was I was older and more self aware yet it was before I gained my confidence with voice acting.

Come on, you gotta admit I am at least a little bit witty and confident.

"You excited, Ro?"

I nod.

"Y-yeah..."

I remember driving through the gates that first time.

"Hi, we are here for talent. First day on the job.." Dad smiles as he points toward me.

"First day? What role will you have?" The old guy behind the booth smiles at me.

"Uh uh....Sssssssuper snail's voice."

I still remember the guy looked slightly confused that they choose a kid like me for the part, but he knew enough to keep his mouth shut. I was learning that the world outside of a middle school knew different.

After we parked in a spot, Dad walked me inside.

Also just for reference, although I am painting myself as this shy insecure little kid, I feel like you guys are probably visualizing me as a scrawny little peanut when in actuality I was pretty skinny but also started hitting my growth spirt already and was just starting to look like my usual tall-yet-baby-faced self.

"Hi...I am Dr. Hugh Pollack." Dad smiles at an older looking man was greyish brown hair and kind brown eyes.

"Ah! The dentist has arrived." He chuckles.

Even though I was growing, they were both taller than me at the time. He looks pretty much the same now, except he was more salt and pepper then, and now he is all grey.

He knelt down at my level.

"I'm Ed. I'm what we call the fun. Other places may know that as the boss, but that's not how we roll here."

I smile

"You must be Rony.."

I nod.

"Rony had asked me to tell you that he stutters. It helps him when people know." Dad tells him.

Ed nods.

"Yes you do, but you know what I also know about you? You are a heck of a talented actor."

Ed stands up and looks to my dad.

"This is Rony's safe place. He shouldn't worry about a darn thing when he comes here. He's our snail boy. We got what we need from him. Let him take in everything he can get from us.".

"You hear that, Ro?" Dad smiles down at me.

"Thank you, Ed.." I said softly.