The human who drinks blood

"How's your stomach? Do you feel nauseated?" Carlisle asked, because of the pregnancy, everything Bella ate she threw up.

"No, I don't feel sick," she whispered. "There's a first, eh?"

Rosalie was overjoyed. "Excellent."

"I think it's a bit early for that, Rose," Carlisle murmured.

She gulped another mouthful of blood, then she flashed a look to Edward.

"Does this screw my total? Or do we start counting after I'm a vampire?" she asked, talking about the bet we've made.

"No one is counting, Bella. In any case, no one died for this. Your record is still clean." I told her.

Edward gave her a sad smile. Jake looked confused, he didn't know about our bet.

"I'll explain later," Edward said.

"What?" Bella murmured.

"Just talking to myself," he lied.

Bella drank more of the blood while looking at the window, she was probably pretending we weren't there. Suddenly, Edward chuckled.

"Something funny?" she breathed.

"Jacob," he answered.

Bella looked over with a weak smile. "Jake's a crack-up,"

She finished drinking the blood.

"I did it," she said. "If I keep this down, Carlisle, will you take the needles out of me?"

"As soon as possible," he promised. "Honestly, they aren't doing that much good where they are."

Anyone could see that the blood Bella had drank made a huge difference. There was more color in her face, and her cheeks were getting slightly pink. She didn't seem to need Rosalie's support and she her breathing was easier.

Everyone seemed more hopeful.

"Would you like more?" Rose pressed.

Edward flashed a glance at Rose. "You don't have to drink more right away."

"Yeah, I know. But... I want to," she admitted.

This gave me shivers down my spine. I couldn't imagine how Bella, even though tasting coke instead of blood, wanting more.

"You don't need to be embarrassed about that, Bella. Your body has cravings. We all understand that." Rose said, with a soothing tone. "Anyone who doesn't understand shouldn't be here." she added harshly.

She was talking with Jake, of course. Carlisle took the cup from Bella. "I'll be right back."

Bella stared at Jake while Carlisle disappeared.

"Jake, you look awful," Bella said.

"Look who's talking."

"Seriously—when's the last time you slept?" she asked him.

That's when I noticed, Jake really looked terrible.

"Huh. I'm not actually sure." he said.

"Aw, Jake. Now I'm messing with your health, too. Don't be stupid."

"Get some rest, please," she went on. "There're a few beds upstairs—you're welcome to any of them."

Rose made a face that was clear that Jake wasn't welcome in any of the beds.

"Thanks, Bells, but I'd rather sleep on the ground. Away from the stench, you know."

He could sleep in my bed...

Edward chuckled at my thought.

"Right." Bella spoke.

Carlisle came back, and Bella reached out for the cup.

She finished drinking the second one quickly.

"How do you feel now?" Carlisle asked her.

"Not sick. Sort of hungry... only I'm not sure if I'm hungry or thirsty, you know?"

"Carlisle, just look at her," Rose murmured, satisfied. "This is obviously what her body wants. She should drink more."

"She's still human, Rosalie. She needs food, too. Let's give her a little while to see how this affects her, and then maybe we can try some food again. Does anything sound particularly good to you, Bella?" Carlisle asked.

"Eggs," she said immediately.

Edward smiled, there was more life on his face than before.

"Jacob. You really should sleep. As Bella said, you're certainly welcome to the accommodations here, though you'd probably be more comfortable outside. Don't worry about anything—I promise I'll find you if there's a need." Edward spoke.

"Sure, sure," Jake mumbled.

Jake thought Edward owe him.

"I do," Edward agreed.

Jake put his hand on Bella's. "Feel better,"

"Thanks, Jacob."

"Get her a blanket or something," Jake murmured.

Jake walked to the door and I followed him.

"You don't need to worry, Jake. We are all helping her. I'm keeping my promise, I'm doing everything in my power to help Bella." I said.

"You need to sleep as well. You look tired."

I nodded. I opened the door so he could leave. I walked back inside and closed the door. I went straight to my room, changed my clothes, and went to sleep.