Chapter 10

"I DON'T WANT TUNA!" Niall wailed. 

Harry had come back from the truck with tuna and crackers. The other boys sat down eating, Niall on the other hand was throwing a tantrum. He was overwhelmed and scared, and falling under the antics of a two year old. The boys tried to not get annoyed, reminding themselves that he was only little, and they had to have patience in these kinds of situations. 

 "Niall buddy, it's all we have." Liam said trying to coax the small boy into eating the food. 

"I don't want it!" Niall screamed. 

"We're all eating it, see," Zayn said, spooning tuna onto his cracker and eating it. "It's really good!" Zayn exclaimed after he finished chewing. 

All of the boys except Niall were eating their food. 

"It's not! It smells gross!" Niall yelled. 

They were all taken aback by Niall's change of attitude, he was only a kid and didn't want to eat something if it didn't appeal to him. 

"Niall, come on just try it." Harry said gently, pushing Niall's canned tuna and crackers towards the small boy. 

"NO!" Niall screamed into Harry's face. "I DON'T WANT ITTTTT!" Niall kept screaming and crying. 

By now all of the boys were pretty fed up with Niall's tantrum. "Listen Niall, it's all we have. It's nighttime and we can't go out because of the zombies. It's either this or nothing." Liam finally said. 

They were all tired and needed to sleep but couldn't because of Niall's constant whining. Niall just curled up and cried. The boys ignored the small blonde hesitantly, knowing he just needed some sleep, and they could try again with food in the morning. 

They knew Niall would cry himself to sleep soon enough, so they all laid down and fell into a much needed rest. All except for Niall and Louis. 

Louis felt a little lost. His heart aching for the six year old who was crying so harshly he thought he might pass out. He squatted down next to the blonde. "Niall buddy there is no need to cry and shout, why won't you eat the tuna?" Louis questioned. Tone full of concern and exhaustion. 

"I already told you guys, it's GROSS," Niall whined, sounding more and more agitated. 

Louis slouched over then, not sure what to do. He glanced out the windows, when his eye spotted a little sandwich shop, about two blocks away. "Alright, STAY here Niall, I mean it. I'll be right back. Do NOT leave. The other boys are sleeping." 

Niall nodded. Not caring that Louis was leaving, he was still mad at him for scaring him so bad. Niall silently cried as he watched Louis leave. His heart was beating against his chest. He knew his tantrum was probably a little exaggerated, but he was terrified to go to sleep in this zombie infested city. Scared to eat, not knowing if he could trust the food, he was a picky six year old after all, and to top it all off he was still devastated his family was dead. 

Soon after, Louis returned with some bread, turkey, cheese, and apple juice. Louis set the various foods in front of the kid, knowing he might want to make his own meal. 

Niall looked at the food hesitantly. He didn't know how to make any food for himself. Mummy or Greg always did it for him. Glancing up at Louis not feeling brave enough to ask for help he whimpered. 

"What's wrong now?" Louis asked, not wanting to deal with another breakdown. 

Niall spoke quietly then, "I-I don't know how to make the food Louis. Mummy or Greg always did it for me." 

Slightly shocked by the blonde's words Louis said, "oh, do- do you want me to make it for you then?" 

Niall nodded, eyes filling with tears of embarrassment. 

"Hey no more tears Niall, there was no need for all the screaming," Louis lectured cautiously. 

Niall didn't like that Louis was telling him off, but he knew he was right. He swiped his nose with his sleeve. "So-sorry," he hiccuped, taking in a breath. Reaching for the sandwich as Louis finished making it. 

"That's alright kid, that's alright," Louis replied. They sat in silence as Niall ate his dinner and drank his juice. Slumping back with a sigh. Louis decided to speak to Niall then, he wanted to know what the kid had meant back in the car. 

"Niall?" Louis spoke gently to the small fragile boy. "Back in the car, you- you said you were scared I was gonna hurt you and the boys. Why- why would you think that. I won't hurt you." Louis asked gently, scooting closer to the boy. 

Niall flinched at that. Not entirely sure why, he was overwhelmed, he supposed. "Umm I- I sorry I, you- when you and the boys came into the mall," Niall took a deep breath, continuing. "You were the one who found me. You sounded so mad. You we're gonna hurt me Louis, I- I thought I was gonna die," Niall finished, breaking off into a sob. 

Louis sucked in a breath. Realising he had scared the poor boy more than he thought. "Oh Niall, honey I would never hurt you, or any of the boys, they are my brothers, all I have left. You're one of us now Ni, I promise I will never do a thing to hurt you and neither will any of the other lads. I promise," Louis said. 

Jokingly he held out his pinkie, the boy surprised him, wrapping his tiny finger around Louis'. Reminding him just how young the poor boy was. Holding his arms out for the small crying boy, Niall flung himself at Louis, realizing then, that he was safe with the boys. All of them. 

 Louis held the boy in his lap, rocking him slightly. "It's ok baby don't cry, no ones gonna hurt you, do you wanna try and get some sleep?" 

Niall whimpered at that, shaking his head no. 

"Why don't you wanna sleep little one?" Louis asked. He was confused, the boy had been moody all day, clearly sleep deprived. 

"I'm scared..." Niall mumbled under his breath. 

"Of the zombies?" Louis asked. 

Niall nodded frantically and buried his head into Louis' chest. 

"How about I hold you, you'll be safe. Try and get some rest okay, we'll have another long day tomorrow." Louis said gently. 

Niall nuzzled his head further into Louis' chest. He could feel the soft fabric on his cheek, it was comforting. Louis started humming softly, he was rocking Niall and not long after Niall fell asleep, still holding tight to Louis. 

Louis glanced down at the sleeping boy, smiling down at him. He was adorable to say the least. Hugging him tightly to his chest, Louis fell asleep too. 

They all hoped tomorrow would be better. But what they didn't know, was that the next day, would be a whole lot worse.