Chapter 5

A boy with strong muscles glanced at the other boys before telling them to back off and search for supplies. Once they were gone he turned back to the small boy, crouching down to his level. 

"Hey little one, it's ok I'm not gonna hurt you." Niall glanced up at that, letting out a relieved sob. 

"Yo-y-your not," Niall wheezed looking up at the strong man with soft brown eyes. 

He gave a small smile, his heart breaking for the small lad. "No, no not at all, it's ok. My name is Liam, sorry about my pals they're not as bad as they seem. What's your name little guy?" 

Niall shifted uncomfortably, looking up at Liams gaze with fearful eyes. "M' Niall," he murmured. 

Liam pressed his lips together at that, feeling a little unsure of what to do. "Niall, what a nice name hmm. It's ok you don't need to be frightened. Why don't you come on out and we can talk properly." Liam offered. 

Niall glanced up at that, giving a jolty nod. Liam reached his hand out for Niall to take, resulting in a flinch from Niall. "Hey it's ok come here I won't hurt you," Liam murmured. 

Heart thumping against his chest, Niall hesitantly took Liam's hand and got up from the clothes rack. 

Once again Liam squatted down to meet Nialls small frame. "How old are you buddy?" Liam asked wearily. 

"Six," Niall replied, swiping his nose with his too big pajama shirt. 

"Jesus," Liam breathed out. Niall glanced up at that seeing the sad look in Liam's eye. 

Liam gave him a sad smile. "Alright buddy, are you all alone?" 

Tears began to roll down Niall's cheeks at that. He gave a nod, hiccuping a sob. 

"Hey it's ok don't cry, umm ok. Hang on let me grab Zayn." 

Niall whimpered, not liking any of the intimidating boys except for Liam whom he somewhat trusted. 

"Hey shh it's ok, Zayn won't hurt you he's a big softy," Liam attempted to joke. 

Niall only nodded and squeezed his eyes shut, attempting to take some breathes. He only hoped he could trust Liam when he said they wouldn't hurt him.

.

.

.

Liam hesitantly left the kid by the clothes rack going over to find Zayn. He let out a breath as he found Zayn tying a new pair of trainers on his feet. 

"Hey Li, Haz and Lou found some food, they are stocking up the truck. You calm down the kid at all? He sure can scream," Zayn joked, then frowned upon seeing Liam's expression. 

Liam let out a sigh running his hands through his hair. "Z, man he's all alone, a baby, Zayn, a baby, he's only six and he's terrified. I don't know what to do we- we can't leave him Z we - I ugh Zayn," Liam was quickly working himself up, being the most responsible of the group, didn't lesson his anxiety it only gave him more. 

Zayn was quick to reassure his best friend before he could further panic. "Liam relax, it's ok we won't leave him, you said it yourself he's a baby. We'll help him. Your not alone, you got us, ok it's fine." Zayn reassured. 

"Yeah your right," Liam let out a sigh. "Can you just, come help me I- I don't know what to do, kids terrified." 

As much as Zayn liked to put on a strong, mysterious, demeanor, all the boys knew he was a big softy and would be more than happy to help the poor boy. 

"Course mate, let's go," Zayn said already walking over to where they left the boy.

.

.

Over by the clothes rack Niall found himself sitting against the wall knees up to his chest, silent tears falling from his eye. He was tired and hungry and scared and so so done. 

He flinched when two shadows lay over him. Glancing up to see Liam and the raven haired lad who he assumed to be zayn. 

"Hey buddy just me, this is Zayn," Liam said glancing to the tall lean boy. 

"Hey little guy, no need for the tears I'm not gonna hurt you," Zayn said. 

Niall felt impossibly small. He wanted his brother and his parents. He was so confused. He felt safe with these strangers yet terrified in a way he couldn't wrap his head around. 

"Can you look at me buddy?" Zayn said, snapping Niall out of his trance as a tear dripped down his cheek. "Look at those pretty blue eyes," Zayn said trying to lighten the mood. "Alright little guy is it ok if Harry and Louis come over too? Just so we can all have a little chat and try and understand what's happening a little more." 

Niall whimpered, he didn't like Louis. Louis had scared him. Niall nodded nonetheless and flinched as Liam sat down in front of him. 

"Harry! Louis! Come here please," Zayn yelled. Not a minute later the curly lad and the blue eyed boy came over. Smiling sadly at Niall. 

"Hey little guy I'm Harry and this is Louis," the curly one, Harry, said. 

Louis gave a smile and a quiet, "hello again."

Niall gave a sad whimper glancing at all four boys. "M' Niall and M'six," the small blonde said. 

All four boys smiled at him. And for the first time since this crazy day started, Niall felt a little less alone. Yet he was frightened. He wasn't sure if safe, was something he would ever fully feel again.