Chapter 1

Void. It's like a darkness that never ends, a whisper you can't quite make out, for Niall it was what he woke up to on Monday morning. The sound of screams, gunshots, and growls was it? Before Niall had the chance to get himself worked up his fifteen year old brother Greg was bursting through his door. "Niall get up now we have to GO!" he rushed out. Niall whimpered, not used to his brother's demanding tone. 

The six year old blonde stumbled out of bed, throwing himself at his older brother hiccuping a sob. He was scared, he had no clue what was going on. One second he was peacefully dreaming of cars and dragons, the next blood curdling screams were pounding through his eardrums. 

Snapping him out of his thoughts, Greg hoisted the tiny boy up onto his hip, making a v line down the hall and through to the attic. Niall was petrified, he heard inhuman noises coming from around him as his brother ran down the hall, yet he could not see a thing happening around him, due to Greg pushing his head into his neck. 

Greg finally sat Niall down on the ground again when they reached the top of the attack. Slamming the door closed, Greg took a step back letting out a breath. Silence engulfed the two brothers. Then, Niall let out a sob. He didn't know what was happening, he was afraid, confused and wanted his mummy. 

He flung himself into Greg, burying his head in his brother's stomach. "Greggy what's happening? Where's mummy and daddy?" The tiny blonde whimpered. 

"Shhh it's ok I've got you, I need you to be really brave ok, I'm gonna explain what's happening just calm down for me yeah?" Greg soothed. Niall sucked in a sharp breath and looked up at his brother, his teary blue eyes, bloodshot and puffy. 

Greg looked down at his brother with tears of his own. "Niall buddy mummy and daddy are gone," Niall felt his breath hitch. Gone? Like when they go to work or to the store? He looked to his brother, eyes shining with confusion. Greg continued then, "Niall baby there gone, I'm so sorry. I know this is a lot to take in. The government released a contagious disease over the world. It was meant to kill off the weak, sustain the population. But instead it's turning people Ni, changing them." 

Seeing his brother's confusion he tried to explain in a simpler way for the six year old to understand. "Zombies Ni, really bad zombies. Th-they will hurt you, kill you Niall this is serious." Niall whimpered at that. People were turning into mean zombies? "They got mummy and daddy Nialler, they're gone. It's just you and me. But we have to go now before they break in here." Niall was in hysterics. His mummy and daddy were gone. He couldn't handle this. 

Greg scooped up a bag and grabbed Niall's hand, tugging him towards the window. "I woke you as soon as the first zombie came through the door, by then mummy was gone and daddy was too, I'm so sorry, we have to go now." Niall nodded, at least he had his older brother.

He allowed Greg to tug him out the window and out into the big world. Alone and afraid, but they were both alive at least. Too bad for Niall, luck never seemed to be on his side, and his brother would soon be gone too, just like his parents.