Chapter 3

Her stomach contracted and she glanced down at her stomach, listening to it growl. She had lost track of time, when did Heisenberg leave? Elize slowly shook her head, she wasn't even entirely sure of his name. Everything was jumbled in the back of her head, mixed in with the thoughts of hunger.

Slowly, Elize began to move. She couldn't even call for him so she needed to find another way around. When she awoke, she remembered a village not being far. A village meant people and some sort of food. The chain rattled and she glanced down at the chain. How as she supposed to get it off her wrist?

Think, Elize, think! You know what you're supposed to do, we've talked about this!

On the table next to her was a knife. She stared at it, waiting for someone to walk in due to the moving of her chain.

Nothing.

She slowly reached over, snatching the knife. She dug it into the cuffs around her wrist, blood rolling down her wrist in the process. As she did, there was a small click the the cuffs released. She pocketed the knife and stood up, looking around. There was no way that she could go out the way he had brought her in, he would be there.

There was one way that she knew she could get out, the hole he had hollered down. She slowly lifted the door and looked down. Whatever was down there, it had to better than running into Heisenberg. She took in a deep breath and jumped down.

Anything had to be better than where she could most likely end up if she had stayed up there, starved even. She looked back up before rushing down a hall.

As she was disappearing through the hall below, Heisenberg walked back through the only entrance and narrowed his eyes. "How on earth did you get away?" He muttered before walking over to the cuffs that had bound her wrists, the cuffs bound with a chain. He stared at them, covered in blood before looking to the hatch she jumped down. Luckily, there was no that creation of his would get out without him letting it out.

"Little brat," he muttered softly. The girl had no power so how she was able to escape so easily was even beyond him. "They're going to be pissed when they found out that she escaped," he muttered, closing the hatch. He quickly walked out, picking up his hammer as he walked. He had only left her alone for twenty-four hours, but the fact that she was able to get away spoke to her character.

It wasn't him that had found the family, he wasn't sure entirely what she was capable of, he just knew that she had no power. Not the power that her family had, but nothing that would make her capable of breaking out of cuffs.

Metal.

"Dammit," he hissed as he walked the halls of the factory. He knew where that tunnel broke off to, but he didn't know how much of a start she had. He could imagine where she would go, to the village. He could always have the Lycans catch her, but they wouldn't bring her back in one piece and maybe not even alive.

She was the piece that Miranda wanted to bring the one with the power to them. If he lost her, well, she could be found. Now, if the Lycans or something else killed her, that was worse.

***

Blood rolled down her hands as she ran from the factory, heading for the gates. The wall had barbed wire at the top, there was no way she could go over the walls, but she could go over the gate. There was an opening, but she would have to climb. Elize wasn't athletic, she never made an effort to be, but it was time to start learning. Quickly, she jumped and scurried through the hole over the gate. She dropped over the fence and stumbled back, landing on her butt.

The howls of monsters filled the air, monsters that snuck around in the distance. She sat there, staring at the factory as the doors opened. She quickly scrambled up, running and hiding in a pile of hay. She held her breath as a figure walked towards the gate.

A hammer in his hand, she recognized him instantly as Heisenberg. That man was hard not to recognize, especially when he was gripping that hammer of his. She held her breath as the gate opened and he looked around.

Blood was puddled around in a spot where she was sitting and he looked towards the hay, following the footprints left in the mud. "You must be joking, you couldn't even find a proper hiding spot." He couldn't see her, but that was where the footprints took him. However, there was also blood leading away from the hay.

More howls and footsteps running away from Heisenberg. He looked towards the footsteps, watching a Lycan drag a body.

A woman, black hair. Her body appeared as frail as the girls. He walked towards the Lycan, switching to the opposite hand for his hammer. That one chance, Elize knew that was it. She ran from the hay, heading down another path from the factory. She could hear the man holler. "Dammit, where the hell did she go?! Find her!"

Just because she had gotten away this one time didn't mean she was completely out of the woods. There were monsters all around, monsters she wasn't prepared to deal with. A knife didn't mean she was equipped enough to deal with the monsters, let alone the man pursuing her. After this, no doubt, he would be pissed. This was the second time she had managed to get away from him. If she was him, even she would be pissed.

For now, she needed to get as far away as possible. Her feet collided together and Elize tumbled to the ground, rolling in the mud. She breathed, roughly as she stared up at the sky. How long would it take for her family to find her? Weeks, months, maybe even years? How long would she actually have, how long would she have to survive in such a strange place?

Slowly, Elize sat up and took a heavy breath in. She glanced the way she had come, hearing snarling. She quickly got up, running towards a small, run down shack. She quickly ran inside and looked around.

There was a bookcase near the door, but then they would know someone had been there. She quickly tore her shirt and wrapped her bloodied wrists, but not before leaving a bloodied piece of her shirt on the bookcase. She quickly climbed into the cabinets below the sink and shut the doors. She held her breath, maybe it would work.

What would the odds be of them finding her?

Hiding?

Below the sink?

Hopefully, slim to none. She closed her eyes, keeping her breath held as her heart held a steady beat.

Roars of the monsters she had seen before, the ones that she knew would hold no mercy. Death would be painful and torture in their hands. She slowly opened one eye as she heard footsteps from a creature enter the shack.

"She's not here, but she was."