18 | The oddest feeling

Start from the beginning

"Tell us what happened after you disappeared, Harry," Kingsley said. "We received word from Sharp and Weasley that you apparated right after the fireworks ended."

Nodding, Harry started, "I caught sight of someone with the artifact in hand. I assumed it was Fyrefox, so I tried to follow them the best I could." Stick to the truth as much as possible, he thought.

"Where did you go?" Kingsley asked.

He licked his lips. "I followed them to Diagon Alley then into Knockturn Alley. When I turned a corner, I was stunned." He still couldn't turn Ginny in. He looked around the room. Even if he trusted these men, he couldn't let Ginny get arrested. She was misguided. He wanted to help her.

And maybe that kiss complicated things.

Stay focused, Potter

"Did you catch a glimpse of Fyrefox?" Robards asked.

He exhaled. "No." Act the part. He would be upset if he didn't see Fyrefox. If he let the thief get away again. Everyone knew he was hell-bent on catching the thief.

"Dammit!" He punched the wall. Pain shot up his arm, but he ignored it. 

"Potter," Robards called out.

"I let Fyrefox slip right through my fingers! This goddamn thief!"

Kingsley got to his feet and laid his hand on Harry's arm. "It's okay, Harry. We all know that sometimes things don't go according to plan. You know that better than others. You'll get him next time."

He ran his fingers through his hair, biting down on the horrible sense of lying to them all. After a breath, he nodded. "Next time."

"Don't worry so much, Potter," The President finally spoke up.

Silence filled the office as they all turned to look at the man. He grinned, leaning back in the chair.

"But isn't the Golden Unicorn Horn important to you?" Harry asked, but he kept thinking about Hermione's words. Maybe she was right.

"Well, yes, it is." The President chuckled at their expressions. "It's important to me, but stuff happens. The Golden Unicorn Horn is just a sign of the alliance between us. Just a prop." He shrugged.

The three of them stared. Jack shook his head.

Kingsley laughed, shaking his head.

"You're not mad?" Robards asked, eyebrows raised.

"Mad? Hell no." He shrugged then turned to Harry. "Just catch this bastard and get the token back for the people. Of course, more for their benefit than ours." Harry nodded. The President continued. "Jack will help you."

The American Auror's eyebrows rose. "I will?"

"You will." The President nodded, shooting the man a look.

Jack's lips twitched. "I will help you."

Harry fought hard to keep from smiling at the man. He couldn't help it, the man's facial expressions spoke volumes

"We'll stay until everything is settled." He got up and patted Harry's shoulder. "Everything will work out, you'll see."

Harry was blown away. Ginny stole the offering to upset the President and ruin relations between the two governments. But it hadn't worked. Hermione was right, the President was a far better person than Ginny thought of him. A grin split across his lips, and he nodded.

"Now, get out there and find that thief," Robards ordered.

"Yes, sir." Harry nodded and made his way to the door.