Confusion

Hand in hand, they ran down the thirteen floors of unluck and entered a quiet hallway. It was so silent. The stillness of sound was frightening and surreal. Teresa could hear the people at the party laughing and talking along with the music, but it all seemed distant. As if it came from another place, a different hotel. Her light brown eyebrows furrowed in a confused frown, and she looked at the man leading her, almost dragging her slow feet. He turned at her and asked her to move faster in an urgent tone.

I'm drifting away to somewhere else.

She could feel the air on her face and realized they were almost out. Away. Free from the dangers. Or was it so? Teresa tried hard to think and remember something that felt important. What had her plan been? It definitely had not been running away with everyone else. No, just him before she reported to...

To whom?

"S... Seth... I- I can't. I don't-"

"OH MY GOSH YOU'RE BLEEDING!"

Huh? Was she? That was weird. She didn't remember getting hit in the head.

Seth took her face in his hands delicately and looked at her frantically up and down. He was worried that she might faint right there and then. Just a moment ago, she had been strong and energetic. Now, she was so frail and disoriented it hurt him to see her that way. His mind told him it was probably because of him and him alone, but he pushed that thought away for now.

"It's okay- We... we are almost there. I'm afraid the police are here too," he stuttered while others shouted at him to move.

THE POLICE ARE HERE TOO!

Teresa's face lit up. The weakness evident on her face left her, and she immediately grasped what she had been forgetting. She was supposed to report to Mr Bakshi! Yes, her mission was completed! It was over, and she could go back to her father, Caleb and Edward because that was where she truly belonged. Not here, among these law-breakers and not with Seth, who had made her feel things she didn't know she could ever feel in her life.

"Yes, I got it. Let's go out," she assured him. She could play along for a while.

Seth, clearly not convinced, supported her and they half ran, half walked out of the great Meridian Palace for once and for all.

*

Seth's body convulsed in tension when he ran out of the hotel. There was nothing to be seen. The path out of the hotel was deserted. Not a single soul was in sight. For a second, he thought they had arrested everyone except for him and Teresa. However, he calmed himself and decided to be patient. Together, he and Teresa walked out of the hotel gates and stood just across the place. He didn't like the sound of those police sirens still. Teresa didn't look like she could fight anyone anymore. His priority was to get her away from the damned police. They didn't have to know that they had another female accomplice besides Karen.

Karen and Ben soon joined them. Both of them were sweating, and Karen's dress was destroyed around her shoulders. She was wearing Ben's coat.

"What happened? You guys are so late!" he hissed at them.

"Yes you would be too if some random old dude was trying to get into Teresa," Ben retorted with equal venom.

Karen looked in the direction of the sirens. They were becoming louder each second.

"I didn't know we would have special guests tonight," she sounded excited.

Karen's excitement turned Seth's calmness into panic as soon as he saw two police cars arriving their way.

"STAND WHERE YOU ARE. WE WILL FIRE AT ANYONE WHO MAKES A MOVE," one of the microphones blasted.

The two cars were probably half a mile away. How could they even recognize them?! But that's when Seth saw a black metalled SUV hurtling towards them at full speed. That warning hadn't been for them. It had been for Jordan. Relief flooded Seth as he saw the SUV screech to a halt before him.

"GET IN!!!! AT THE BACK. NO SPACE HERE!" Jordan hollered.

The two cars skidded to a stop just behind them, and four men got out of the car. Seth couldn't see properly, but there was an old man among the four. He was surprised to see him not coughing from arthritis instead of firmly pointing that outdated gun (they really have no class ha) before them. They looked ready to shoot. Ben had already opened the back door. He jumped in, and Seth pushed Teresa in aggressively before getting in himself. Karen was about to get in when she made the mistake of turning around.

It was as if Seth were watching a movie. He heard it before he saw it. They say that the speed of light is faster than that of sound. But he heard the familiar click of the trigger, and the vibrant bang of the gun before he saw the spark of the bullet, and the body of a woman fall before him. Then it was all quiet.

"Karen," he whispered.

He dreaded to look down, knowing what he'd find, but he forced himself to. Down on the road was a bleeding Teresa. Karen screamed her name but Seth didn't hear it at all. He simply stared. He had felt the jerk of movement from Teresa, who was sitting just near the door. He had not been able to stop her due to a matter of his thoughts (that didn't seem important to him at all now).

The four men moved in on them but hurriedly stepped back as more SUVs belonging to the Shadow Killers emerged from behind them. There was a lot of shouts of Requesting immediate backup! and Get her up, now! Karen was pushed onto him by someone while Teresa's limp body was carried away by some of their men. With a jerk, Seth came back to his senses.

"Teresa, I need to go with her," he stated and began to get out, but Karen and Ben held him down.

"No, not now," Karen ordered even though her voice was quivering.

"She's not dead. She can't be, can she?" Seth looked desperately at her.

Tears silently crept down Karen's face.

"She saved my life Seth but I don't know. She got hit right in her heart"

The world seemed to stop around him.

*****

Hey. Omg it has been a while.

OKAY HEAR ME OUT. I was procrastinating alright but it also suddenly became very difficult for me to not just type it out but also write it in general. As if I needed ideas. No I didn't lose the motivation, I very much wanted to write (even if it was on a paper) but I couldn't bring myself to write anything. So read some books for a boost and I realized I was probably dreading all the extra work I have to put in for a chapter that barely a few souls read. But I am here again. So no worries eh?

AGAIN TERRIBLY SORRY BUT PLEASE HIT THAT STAR AND THRUST UR ANGER ON IT. Okay no kidding, vote and comment hoomans!