The One Where Bucky Gets Engaged

Pairing: Bucky Barnes x Fem!Reader

Written: May 15th, 2021

Posted: May 15th, 2021

Warning: None, just tooth rotting fluff!

Word Count: 970

Summary: Based on Parks and Rec, the episode where Ben and Leslie get engaged!

Listening to the soft thumping of Bucky's heart, you traced patterns along his chest

Listening to the soft thumping of Bucky's heart, you traced patterns along his chest. A content sigh escaping past his lips.

"When do you leave?" You questioned softly, not bothering to lift your head.

Bucky stiffened. He hadn't told you about the upcoming mission he was doing with Sam. He had been procrastinating it in hopes if he didn't talk about it, he wouldn't have to leave again. No matter how many times he left, it never got easier. But coming home was his favorite, nothing could compare to the giddiness you gave him.

"You knew?" He frowned.

Giggling, you moved your hand to rest under your chin allowing you to gaze at his features.

"Of course I did." You rolled your eyes.

Lifting his hand to your face, he tucked your hair behind your ear. "A few days."

Taking in a sharp breath, you squeezed your eyes shut. "Okay."

Maneuvering yourself, you returned to your previous position on his chest, allowing slumber to overwhelm you.

Sighing, you plopped down on your couch. Natasha and Wanda called an impromptu girls night. It was almost always never impromptu. Whenever Bucky was away on missions, they took it upon themselves to keep you company.

"I'm sure they're fine," Wanda spoke, giving your shoulder a gentle squeeze.

"I know." You sighed. "I just..."

"Worry." Wanda finished for you. Giving you a sympathetic smile, she nodded her head in understanding. "I get it."

"Why don't you guys move into a house?" Natasha questioned, before eating a handful of snacks.

Furrowing your eyebrows together, you pondered the thought letting silence fall upon the group.

Wanda nodded in agreement. Moving towards the snack-filled coffee table, picking out one of her chosen snacks.

"I mean..." Wanda drew out. "You pay close to a mortgage payment for staying here each month." She shrugged. "I know you've been wanting a house." She giggled.

"You're not exactly subtle about it." Natasha chimed in chuckling.

"Hey!" You exclaimed, before succumbing to a fit of laugher. Throwing a pillow at Natasha, she let out a surprised 'oof.'

Wanda was next to erupt into a fit of laughter before Natasha followed.

The light flow of the night, made you think of your future. Slumber washed over you as you tugged one of the many blankets that littered the living room around you.

"You've sent him how many?" Natasha giggled.

Rolling your eyes, you couldn't stop the giggles that bubbled up inside you. "Hey! Don't judge!" You shrieked. "It was your idea."

"She has you there." Wanda nodded.

"I...I just figured he could look at them whenever he has time." You shrugged.

"You want him to look at houses rather than call you in his free time?" Natasha debated while raising an eyebrow.

Taking a sip of your coffee, you shrugged. Glancing at your watch, you gasped. "We have to go! We're going to be late for the showing!"

Once the realtor finished showing your small group the house, you felt a warm homey feeling. Biting your lip, you attempted to keep the smile from your lips.

"I'll give you ladies a minute." The realtor spoke, leaving the kitchen to go to another room.

"She's in love with this house," Natasha spoke. "So, are you going to buy it?"

Glancing around the room, you felt as if you were back to your child self. It was everything and more you had dreamt of.

"I..." Your voice trailed off before your expression faltered. "I can't." You sighed.

"What?" Wanda furrowed her eyebrows together in confusion. "Why not?"

"Because...I... I want Bucky to be here...To have a say in our potential house." You frowned, feeling your heart fall into your stomach.

Both girls offered you a sorrow-filled smile. "That's understandable."

"Come on," Natasha spoke, placing a comforting arm around your shoulders. "Let's go get your favorite for dinner."

Returning to the house, you sighed. You wanted to buy the house with all your might. Wandering around the house, you found yourself leaning against the kitchen island closing your eyes.

Losing track of time, you heard heavy footsteps echoing off the walls.

"There you are." Bucky's voice rang through your ears.

Snapping open your eyes, you let out a surprised gasp. "Bucky?"

"Hi, honey." He grinned dropping his duffle bag next to his feet.

Propelling yourself forward, you jumped into his welcoming arms.

"I missed you so much." He whispered into your hair while, rubbing your back, he placed you gently on your feet.

"So, this is the house?" He questioned gazing at you.

"Uh...Yeah...Yeah, it is." You spoke, smiling up at Bucky.

"When can we move in?"

Giggling, you rolled your eyes at his eagerness. "I...I don't know." You turned slightly, gazing over your shoulder. "We should probably tell the realtor we-"

Turning back around you gasped. Bucky kneeled before you, holding open a ring box. His eyes sparkling. "Will you-"

"No, wait." You spoke, feeling tears pricking your eyes before falling down your cheeks. "I...I want to remember this moment." You sniffled, glancing around the room.

Bucky chuckled, as he gazed lovingly upward at you.

"Y/N Y/L/N, will you marry me?"

"Yes." You responded, nodding your head rapidly, as tears began falling.

Grasping your hand gently, he placed the engagement on your finger. Standing up, you threw your arms around his shoulders. Mirroring your movements, he laced his arms around your waist, holding you tight against him.

The sound of cheers erupted behind you. Unwrapping yourself from Bucky, you turned to see the small group of friends. Each of them beaming with joy as they sent you both bright smiles.

"I love you and I like you." You muttered quietly enough for only Bucky to hear.

"I love you and I like you," Bucky repeated, as your group of friends gathered around the both of you.