Chapter 7

After the funeral, Adrien wasn't the same.

He never smiled, his joyous laughter never rang out through the house again and he was quiet most of the time. His eyes had lost a bit of their spark of life and his hair seemed dull. Upon being advised by his mother, he'd taken a few weeks off of work to try and get his wits about him again.

In all honesty, I understood. The first few weeks are always hard. The wound is fresh, gaping and tender. Time heals all, so that's what he needed. Time.

I always tried to show him my support in whatever way he needed it. In the weeks he'd been at home, I'd had to step in on numerous occasions to be what he needed.

Once, I'd found him outside in the massive garden staring at a spot where the little footpaths came together. His face had been painted in distaste as he'd practically glared at the spot. When I'd finally dared to ask him what was wrong, he'd answered with, "Here. Something is missing here. It's too open."

I personally didn't see anything wrong with it, in fact, it had looked quite normal, but nonetheless, I'd still asked him what was missing.

"A fountain. We should put a fountain here."

Of all the things, a fountain? Well, it wasn't that much of a bad idea and besides, whatever made him feel better, so sure enough, not even two days had passed before a fountain had been installed and I should say, it did look rather brilliantly. Two white swans with their wings outstretched as if they were landing in the crystal clear waters with a stream of the liquid flowing from their beaks to create a soft and soothing rippling melody. Quite serene really.

Then there was the time that I'd woken up in the middle of the night because of some commotion in the kitchen. Now, I didn't think it was a burglar because we had the best security system on the market and besides, what type of robber makes a meal when he enters a home? Still, imagine my surprise when I walked in and saw Adrien with an apron and flour streaks on is face, the kitchen in complete disarray.

"Cookies. I was craving cookies and tea. But I don't know how to bake."

The clock against the wall showed it was 01:23 and I had a meeting with another editor at 07:00, but how could I just leave him? So, instead of shooing him back to bed or losing my temper, I made him sit at the kitchen counter as I read the recipe he'd wanted. Chocolate chip cookies. Luckily something I made a lot and knew off by heart so I turned on the television to some survival program to keep him busy as I baked him his desired biscuits. When they were done, I made him a cup of tea too before taking it and a plate of chocolate chip cookies to him.

I took my seat next to him and watched how six people tried to use their combined skills to pass a challenge. The whole while, Adrien remained silent, except when he called my name softly.

"Katherine?"

"Yes?" But when I'd opened my mouth, he'd given me a bite of one of the cookies before he turned to sip his tea.

"Thank you." Just that. Two words. But I knew he really appreciated it in the way he closed his eyes and relished in the comfort from a bite of cookie or a sip of tea. And if midnight snacks and silly shows managed to bring him some comfort, then I was willing to oblige.

Lastly was when I was busy editing a newbie's work in my study. It had been a quiet day, rain softly pattering against the window as my untouched steaming cup of tea was still on the table. Out of nowhere, Adrien came in and sat on the couch near the window. He didn't say anything, just observed me as I worked. It was a bit unnerving but I paid it no heed, concentrating on finishing the task at hand. Until...

"Can I read one of your books?"

Now that had shocked me, so I turned the chair to him.

"Sorry?"