Chp:-1 Long Distance Relationship?

NISHA MIRCHANDANI
I was walking around my school, Ecole Mondiale World School Juhu, Mumbai. It was our high school graduation day. We were all going to college now. I was walking around my school while keeping all the good times spent here with all my lovely friends. Still one hour was remaining for our graduation ceremony to start. In international schools in India, we have graduation ceremony after we're done with our 12th grade.

My best friends Samaira Raichand and Kriti Singhania might be here any time. Time flies! No matter how much we think of hating the school, we'll always miss it badly when we leave. Suddenly I heard someone yelling my name.

"HEY NISH. HELLO DUDE TURN BEHIND." I turned behind and saw Samaira and Kriti coming towards me.

Samaira said, "we're yelling for the past 5 minutes!"

Kriti asked, "were you dream walking?"

I said, "just remembering the good times. Walking around the school for the last time you know."

Kriti said, "the graduation ceremony will begin after 45 minutes."

Samaira said, "I'm gonna miss school."

Sammy and Kriti are my best friends cum family friends since childhood. We're classmates since diapers. My dad and Kriti's dad were childhood friends. They're inseparable even today no matter how far or close they stay.

I said, "yes. Even I'm gonna miss school, all my friends, teachers and everyone."

Samaira said, "And Nik." She chuckled. I blushed.

Nikhil Singhania, the eldest son of the Singhanias, 2nd cousin of my bestie Kriti Singhania, the one and only extremely stinking rich family of India, is my boyfriend and the love of my life. We've known each other since diapers. We have been together since our playschool days. He proposed to me when we were in the 8th grade and of course I said yes. We've been dating each other for the past 5 years now. We're both madly in love with each other.

My family is settling down in London. Kriti's family is settling down in New York. Nikhil's family is still in India. We both together decided that we don't want a long distance relationship so we decided to stick to NYU and worked hard to get into NYU.  Nikhil is lucky enough to get admission there. I was so happy when I heard that Kriti is going there too. At least he'll have company. Unfortunately I didn't get into NYU inspite of working so hard. I got disappointed but my family motivated me and I worked hard and got into Oxford University in London all thanks to my family's support.

I said, "I'll miss him the most. Long distance relationships aren't easy. I don't know how he'll react after knowing that I didn't get into NYU."

Samaira said, "everything will be fine."

Kriti said, "guys Nik just texted me. He was asking where we are I told him we're here at the 3rd floor. He's coming."

I said, "oh." We heard Nikhil. He came towards us.

Nikhil said, "Aah! There you are. Hey girls."

Kriti and Sammy said, "hey Nik."

I said, "hey baby." I pecked his lips.

Nikhil said sweetly, "girls I'm stealing your friend for a while. I hope you  don't mind."

Kriti said, "of course. We'll see you guys downstairs." They both walked away.

Nikhil gave me a passionate kiss on the lips. I kissed him back.

Nikhil said, "I'm so happy Nish babe, I got into NYU. I'm sure you also must have got admission." I was happy to see him happy.

I said, "I'm really happy for you Nik. All the best to you. I hope that you shine and make your future bright. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into NYU. I was broken. Mom and Dad and Sanya motivated me and with their support I got admission in Oxford University. I'm sorry. We have to do long distance relationship."

Nikhil said, "no bloody way Nish. I can't stay far away from you. It's difficult. I want to be with you. I'll ask my dad or Pratik Tauji to pay the whole money and secure admission for you there. So what if you didn't get scholarship. At least we'll be studying together from the best institute. I love you babe. I want you by my side."

I said, "Nik that's not fair. We decided to work hard and get into NYU without anyone's help. You did it and I'm proud of you. Everything is not in our control baby. It's ok. Please understand. Everything will be fine. Nik we will be in touch. Video call twice a day and chatting on what's app daily. Come on baby. It's not right you can't ask your dad or Tauji to pay for me. I know if you do then they won't hesitate and they'll pay right away but I want to do something on my own. I want to be independent. I'm going to turn 18 damn it. I'm going to be an adult. Please understand Nik. Please."

Nikhil said, "no Nish. We had promised each other. This can't happen. I don't want long distance relationship. I'm so used to being around you, hold your hands and kissing you.  5 years without you is like beyond imagination. No that can't happen."

I said, "then the best solution for us is to break up. There won't be any relationship only. It's much better. Because we're in a relationship right now that's why we are fighting over this. I thought you're an understanding person Nikhil but I was wrong."

I don't know where did that come from. A part of me didn't want it to happen but it was the right thing to do at that time, I guess. My heart yelled while beating fast 'Please don't breakup Nikhil.'

Nikhil said after few minutes of silence with the pain in his eyes, "Fine if that's what you want, if that's what you think will give you happiness then okay, it's over Nisha Sachin Mirchandani. I wish you all the very best for future. Be happy and goodbye." With that he left, leaving me heartbroken.

He was also very sad. I could see his face. Did I do the right thing by breaking up with him?

I WISH I COULD GET INTO NYU.......................