Ch25 - Light.

In the end, I chose not to retreat through the window. Perhaps it was Mary keeping me in this place, or perhaps this was merely my fate. There was nothing left for me, even if I were to escape. There was only here and now, and both of those were about to be erased. And so would I.

I remember falling to the ground. I remember seeing the flames reach my doors, beginning to creep into the room. Then... I remember white light. It was warm at first, and I wondered if this was heaven.  But then the warmth became hot, then hotter, then hotter still. 

Soon, it was agonizing heat, like flames engulfing me. And maybe they were, considering how I had left things. The pain was unbearable, and I clawed at my body, trying to make the burning go away. I remember that just as I went to scream, my eyes flicked open, and I was back in the burning room.

The burning had faded now, and I was just numb. My throat was dry and I was too weak to move. I couldn't lift my head even, only lie there as the flames encroached. All I could do was surrender to whatever fate awaited me, and hope it would be quick.

There was movement that didn't belong to me, and a deep staticky voice calling my name. It almost felt as though the voice was coming from the depths of my mind, like it was an illusion, yet I knew somehow it was not.

From my position on the floor, I could not see much. But I could see the figure that stood in front of me. It was him... the faceless man I had seen so many times before. The figure that haunted my dreams. The reason everything started in the first place.

Thick black tendrils moved from his back, gliding in the air like snakes, slowly wrapping themselves around me. I felt my body being lifted, and although I expected there to be pain, there was only numbness. My own body felt lifeless, and it was almost as though it did not belong to me, but it did.

Then suddenly the heat was completely gone. The warm hues of the fire were replaced with the dull white of what seemed to be ceiling lights. The physical warmth suddenly faded into cold, which got considerably more noticeable.  My fingers felt like ice, my lips and nose so cold that I could no longer feel them.

Then Tim was there. I could see his lips moving, as though he were speaking to me, and I think he held my hand. I didn't hear anything though, and my senses were fading.

There were others here too. Some of them looked like they had better things to do, but most of them looked worried. I didn't understand. Were they worried for me? Who were they?

I heard the voice again, louder this time. Somehow I know it was him... the faceless man.

"Y/N," he said in his deep staticky tone. "You are safe now, child. Rest. We will be here for you when you awaken."