Ch10 - Intruder

Y/N's POV

The day went by fairly uneventfully. I did the washing mostly, cleaning the old linen that came with the property and redoing the main bedroom so I could sleep a little more comfortably. I also read some of the books I found in one of the rooms, which seemed to be about anatomy. 

It was approaching midnight and I was halfway through washing a load of dishes when I heard the sound of wailing static in the adjacent room. The television... Wasn't it broken? 

I put down the dish I was cleaning into the drying rack and quickly wiped my hands, picking up a kitchen knife as I slowly moved towards the loungeroom. 

Inside was almost completely dark, aside from the pale illumination emanating from the clearly operational television. I swallowed hard, instantly reminded of horror films such as The Ring, my entire body tensing so hard that my muscles ached.

"This can't be happening," I choked out as I slowly enclosed the gap. But it was happening, and I couldn't stop the dread that overwhelmed my senses. 

Warily, I extended an arm to turn off the television using the power button. I let out a sigh of relief when the screen clicked to black, and shaking off the anxiety, stood up and begun to walk back to the kitchen.

Then, static once again filled the air, louder this time. I just about shrieked in fear, turning to face the screen once more and staggering back. It was just static - nothing that should have been frightening, yet it was terrifying.

I quickly clicked the power button again, but this time when the screen turned to black, I could see the reflection of a man standing directly behind me, close enough he could reach out and touch me. I screamed, turning and holding the knife up in a feeble attempt to appear threatening. There was nobody there.

I scrambled to my feet, still pointing the knife in front of me, eyes frantically searching for any sign of the intruder. Just as I begin to calm down, finding nobody in sight, the power shuts off. Trying to use the nearby light switch does nothing.

It's endlessly dark. I scream as I hear the sudden smashing of dishes in the kitchen. Dish after dish slammed into the ground, the rustling of draws, things being thrown, taps running full blast. I can see the steam filling the room from the hot water, thick and humid. I don't dare move into the room, but instead move backwards.

The television turns on a third time, filling the small room with flickering eerie light. I can see the floors covered in shattered porcelain from my position, and slowly trying to regain my confidence, I slowly approach.

The kitchen is an absolute mess. Dishes lay broken and scattered on the floor, the sink overflowing with scalding hot water wish washes onto the floors. My phone, which was initially by the side of the sink, is missing. The dread that overwhelms me is unmeasurable when I hear the sudden sound of my ringtone... from upstairs.