T W E N T Y - E I G H T

Start from the beginning

Conceited feather brained boy. Hmmph. He had the nerve to insinuate that I would want to share a room with him. Tch, in his dreams only. Like that would happen in the real world.

"Trouble in paradise already?" Jayden said, coming into view with his bag slung across his shoulders.

"You can say that." I pursed my lips and hefted my suitcase up. "Let's go in. We've got some unpacking to do." Jayden nodded and we stepped inside cabin number one.

Spacey, brightly coloured and clutter free, with a wooden table placed in the center, a sprinkle of armchairs and a huge plasma television hung on the mantle, the living room was the first part of the cabin's interior we came across.

"Nice place," said Jayden while we went into the next doorway. I shook my head in agreement.

We stood at the edge of the doorway, our gazes on the brightly lit hallway looming ahead. On each side were five closed steel doors, making it a total of ten rooms. Every entrance had a welcome carpet and a room number stuck to the door.

"Which room's mine and which is yours?" Jayden asked.

Of course, he wouldn't also know we were staying together. Very convenient of Kian not to tell us earlier. Asshat.

"We'll be staying in the same room. You, Kian, one other girl and I." I couldn't help the acidity in my tone.

"Okay." He didn't bat an eye like I did when Kian had informed me of our sleeping arrangements.

"Which room is ours then?"

I pointed to the left even though there wasn't any need. "The fifth room on the left."

"So this is it," I said to Jayden as he helped me unfold the last of my clothes into the girl's wardrobe. He'd already finished doing his and offered to join me in mine, making me quickly sneak all my undergarments out of sight. There was no fracking way he was seeing them.

"Mhmm," he replied, a distant look on his face.

"Hey, what's up with you? You don't seem to be here." I flopped down on the last bed in the bunk and looked up at the glazed timber ceiling.

Our room was fair enough I supposed. Simple, light and airy, it contained two standard bunk beds opposite to each other, a pink and blue wardrobe---for the boys and a center rug between the beds. Further left in a corner, were the two bathroom glass doors Kian had mentioned earlier.

Well, so far so good. There wasn't going to be any invasion of privacy, I thought, spying a mirror and dresser placed near the wardrobe.

"Nothing. I'm sorry. I'm just not used to here yet." I turned my gaze away from the ceiling to him. He gave me a tiny grin tinged with nervousness.

I walked over to the other side of the room and sat down beside him. He'd also chosen the last bed in the bunk.

"I know how you feel, Den. This is my first time going out and I feel awkward too. But I guess it's not gonna be so bad."

He shrugged, looking out of the window that allowed one a panoramic view of the woods. "Maybe yes. Maybe not."

It was six pm and dinner time. Sitting down around the bonfire were animated and excited grade twelve students, people I had never ever talked to. I silently listened to the meaningless conversations from these strangers schooling with me and the chirpings of the crickets, letting the warmth of the fire envelope me in a pleasant cocoon.

Finished eating--- a meal consisting of barbecued chicken, baked beans and sweet potatoes---I slowly roasted my idea of a dessert, two marshmallows stuck on a stick, in the fire.