17

“AH—“ Qin Juran exclaimed in realization. Feeling embarrassed, she quickly tried to explain, “My bad, my bad – I really didn’t mean it like that! It was a mistake, honestly. I ordered it online, so I just chose it because of the color of the cover.”

“Big Sister, you like yellow?” Qin Julai asked innocently.

“…..”

“Isn’t this orange?” Qin Juran raised her brows.

“Oh, so you like orange, Sis?”

Tch…this little brat.

Just then, Qin Haotian called them down for dinner, interrupting their conversation. Qin Juran quickly finished drying her hair and casually tied it up, walking downstairs. The customers had already left and the tables were tidied up; there was only Mama Qin sweeping the floors.

Qin Juran knew that the least she could do was help. She walked over to Mama Qin and asked to take over the broom, but her mother only raised her head in response, her warm eyes revealing an insulted look. She looked at Qin Juran and clucked, “Foolish girl – you finally decided to come back?”

Qin Juran felt her heart soften and quickly lowered her head, responding quietly, “Ma.”

Qin Haotian came over to dispel the tension: “Alright, alright, enough with the sweeping. Our daughter is out pursuing her studies, we can’t expect her to help out here at the restaurant every day.”

Qin Julai also piped up: “That’s right, Ma. Just wait until Sister and I are rich – we’ll get you guys a nice place to live in.”

At this, Mama Qin finally broke into a smile. She ushered Qin Juran into a seat, telling her that her favorite dishes were coming out.

The Qin family didn’t employ any other workers, so it was usually up to the two parents to run the restaurant. Qin Juran wanted to help, but before she could do anything, Qin Julai would quickly do it for her. Soon all the dishes had been laid out on the table and the family took their seats around it.

Qin Julai deliberately brought over a bottle of Mirinda 1 soda: “Here Sis, your favorite – orange.”

Qin Julai poured a glass for his sister and mother while Qin Haotian retrieved a bottle of white wine that had been stashed away. Before Mama Qin could protest, he insisted, “We must drink in celebration of our daughter’s return!”

At the sight of his reaction, completely under his wife’s thumb, Qin Juran couldn’t hold back a chuckle and raised her glass. Although she was familiar with the act of clinking glasses and drinking from her past life, Qin Juran felt a little dazed sitting here surrounded by these strangers who were supposed to be “family.”

The warm restaurant lights framed the faces of the simple and honest husband and wife; the whole setting was the spitting image of a happy and loving family.

Qin Juran lifted her head then hung it down again. After an awkward silence, Qin Juran murmured, “Dad, Mom. You’ve worked hard.”

Qin Haotian replied, “Your Dad and Mom are just happy you guys are here! Come on, we prepared all this, help yourselves!”

Mama Qin’s culinary skills were indeed top-notch. She had prepared four dishes and a soup, each smelling amazing and tasting even better. Even though Qin Juran had eaten so many exotic delicacies and expensive steaks to the point of being sick of them in her past life, this hearty homestyle meal tasted better than any of them.

After the meal, Qin Haotian brought out a plate of freshly cut fruit. Meanwhile, Mama Qin went upstairs to grab a tape measure and notebook, meaning to take measurements of Qin Juran’s knees. Qin Juran recalled her brother mentioning that their mom wanted to make her leg warmers. She gently protested, “You don’t need to, Ma, we can buy leg warmers anywhere.”