16

Since the hospital was far from the university, Qin Juran called a cab home. She had worn the soles of her feet to bloody blisters last night, so she gruelingly pulled on her heels and dragged her exhausted body to the dorms. Despite her best efforts, she still missed the bus to go back home.

Qin Juran looked at Huang Ying, who was sleeping soundly. Feng Jing was the one who opened the door for Qin Juran moments before, and her eyes were glimmering with curiosity.

There was also the look of expectation, as usual.

Qin Juran stared intently at Feng Jing, then went to the bathroom to shower. Hot water trailed down her neck, sliding down her waist, then finally trickling along the tattoo on her ankle. Her feet were sore and the hunger and exhaustion from the past night were catching up to her. After she got out, she texted “Dad” while drying her hair to tell him that she had missed the bus and would have to wait until the evening or the next day to go home.

Since so many people were traveling for National Day, most of the bus lines had long been booked full. Qin Juran waited for her hair to dry, then went to buy some bread and dragged her luggage to the bus station to try her luck.

She had always been someone who kept her promises, especially to those she was supposed to care about.

By the time Qin Juran arrived at the bus station, it was almost 11 in the morning. The waiting hall was packed with people waiting for the buses, some with tickets, others without. Qin Juran waited in line for a good hour, but when she finally made it to the ticket window, she was told that they had already been sold out a while ago. The next trip would be noon the day after tomorrow, which she could book her tickets for online.

Suddenly, she received a WeChat notification. As Qin Juran glanced at her phone, her lips curved in surprise for a quick moment. She began to make her way to the exit.

Qin Juran dragged her luggage through the throng of people and made it outside. Out on the deck, there were a number of unlicensed taxi drivers trying to persuade the young women waiting there. They rushed over to Qin Juran, asking if she’d like to carpool, to which Qin Juran politely shook her hood in refusal. One plump middle-aged man was especially persistent, continuously following her along the sidewalk: “Hey pretty lady, how bout this: I’ll let you sit in the passenger seat and turn on the AC just for you, how’s that?”

The excessive greed in his eyes made Qin Juran uncomfortable. She stepped back and turned to coldly glare at him: “Like I said, my friend is picking me up. Did I stutter?”

The man waved his hand: “Come on, if your friend were really coming, you would’ve left long ago. Uncle can tell that you don’t look so well, did you have a fight with your boyfriend? Don’t worry, just come in Uncle’s car; this Uncle is experienced, so I’ll teach you…”

Before he could finish, a Porsche Supercar pulled up with a roar from the corner, nearly toppling the man over. He was about to curse out, but as soon as he noticed the car model, he shriveled back.

Qin Juran laughed coldly in his face: “Girlfriend, actually. And we didn’t fight.” After she said this, she stepped into the car. As Qin Juran arranged her luggage, she peaked at Ruan Nan in the driver’s seat. She also seemed to have been in a hurry; her face was only lightly made up, she wore a plain white t-shirt and jeans, and her hair was casually pulled back in a neat and simple ponytail. Qin Juran buckled her seat belt and lifted an eyebrow towards Ruan Nan through the rearview mirror: “Thanks.”

“No need. I just didn’t want to owe you anything. You brought me to the hospital, so I’ll bring you home. Now we’re even.” Ruan Nan replied in an indifferent tone.