8

“Qin Juran, you!” Ruan Nan flustered at the double meaning behind her words. Qin Juran’s naturally flirtatious face looked bolder than ever in front of her, putting her at a momentary loss of words. Ruan Nan muttered, “You’re like a different person all of a sudden.”

Pursing her lips in response, Qin Juran retracted and began tidying up the used cotton swabs. “Make sure you drive slowly. This road is poorly lit.” She moved to get out of the car.

“Qin Juran,” Ruan Nan called behind her. “Aren’t you going to ask what I came here for today?”

Qin Juran lazily raised an eyebrow. “If it’s about Fan Chuan, then sorry, I’m not interested.”

“Qin Juran.”

“Hmm?” Qin Juran turned her head back.

“Which brand?”

“Huh?”

“Your perfume.” Ruan Nan had previously caught a whiff of Qin Juran’s sweet scent; it reminded her of some designer brand’s bluebell perfume, yet it wasn’t overbearing at all. The faint scent that tickled her nose had an inexplicable kind of charm. It was simply…mesmerizing.

Qin Juran froze, letting out a surprised laugh. “You like my scent?”

“I—I’m asking for a friend.”

“Ah.” Without replying, Qin Juran opened the door and got out.

When she arrived in her room, Huang Ying was in the middle of her footbath, while Feng Jing questioned her on sight: “Are you alright, Qin Juran?”

Qin Juran took a sip of water as she wondered, How did Ruan Nan know I was over by the lovers’ hill?

She peered at Feng Jing, who’s worried expression was mixed with interest, and innocently raised an eyebrow. “I went to buy a bottle of water – what makes you think I wouldn’t be alright?”

“I –”

“Or perhaps you knew that I went to meet someone?” Qin Juran turned towards Feng Jing, examining her with a pensive expression. Unlike the teasing look she gave Ruan Nan, her current one was of disdain, as if she were watching a lousy clown performance.

“I don’t know.” Feng Jing’s voice betrayed a high-pitched feigned innocence. She clamped her mouth shut and pretended to busy herself with something.

Too tired to bother with her, Qin Juran took a shower and climbed into bed.

In her previous life, she could knock down 10 of these fools like Feng Jing in one punch – but things were different now.

Honestly, she had to thank her for facilitating certain developments.

Ruan Nan was scared of the dark and of ghosts; In the original novel, Qin Juran had taken advantage of this fear and, on an excursion to the amusement park, confessed to Fan Chuan in the haunted house.

Tsk. Well, this time, the girl had brought it upon herself.

By the time Ruan Nan returned to her apartment, Zhou Ziqing and the others had left, leaving an empty feeling in the large rooms. The bandage that Qin Juran applied was waterproof, so she was able to shower without irritating the wound. Ruan Nan walked out of the bathroom wearing a fresh robe, plopping down onto the sofa. As she blow-dried her hair, her eyes lingered on the box of cigarettes lying on the table, full except for one cigarette.

She couldn’t quite put her finger on it, but something about Qin Juran these days made her seem like a completely different person. She could be deliberately acting, but that personality change wasn’t something you could fake so easily.