A Tight Situation

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, just like that."

"We're going to see each other often, you know."

I paused for a moment. From what I had been hearing about Sinnoh, Team Galactic was on the rise after it had supposedly been disbanded all those years ago.

"You might be right." I tightened my grip on the pokeball, ready to move if needed. "But you're in the way right now."

My eyes began to flare up again, glowing a dark gold colour in the dimly lit tent. I could see clearly now, the dark not hindering me anymore. I looked ahead, to the woman, who from a closer look I could read her aura. Mars folded her arms across her chest, not showing any signs of moving.

"Then move me." She took a step forward, her soft smile fixed as she looked into my eyes. "I know all about you, Aaron. Champion of Kalos and the hero of his region. "

I could see a whole series of playful emotions dance across Mars' face as she took another slow step forward. My breathing had become relaxed, as if I was comfortable around her.

"I'm going to need you to get everyone here and leave this island."

"Oh is that right?"

My lips tightened for a moment but I shook my head, not wanting to show my smile. "There's nothing on this island so why all the effort?"

"Oh that's what you think. Y'know Aaron, you should be better at this sort of thing. You seem out of practice." A quick smile flashed on her face. "Everything's gone according to plan."

I looked at her confused. I turned back to the three pokemon who were continuing the fight. They didn't seem tired but it was clear that they couldn't turn away or else the formation would falter.

"Hmm... That's three pokemon. Plus Dragonite who's too far away now. And a new pokemon egg. So that means..." She lowered her gaze, looking to my hip where I was holding my final pokeball. As I followed her words, I understood that this was now an unfavourable situation but I remained calm, knowing there was always a way out.

"I'm sure even a six versus one is too much for you." She turned her gaze back to my eyes, staring intensely. "I've got you right where I want you."

I couldn't help but smile. This wasn't the first time I had been backed into a corner, so I was confident that I could think of something quickly. As I weighed up the options, a six versus one battle would be too risky. My mind raced but I was able to form a makeshift plan.

Quickly, I released Ninetails, directing her to freeze the tent entrance with blizzard. The other three backed off before I returned them to their pokeballs to rest. The ice fox joined me by my side, a confident look in her eyes.

"I like these odds a little more now."

Mars was quick with a response, slowly clapping and congratulating me on being so cool. She rolled her eyes, before a smile crept across her face. "Well, what did I expect. I know I'm a good battler, but I'm not you good."

I smiled, maintaining the eye contact. "You're going to leave Mars."

"Hpmh. Have some more fun next time." She winked before walking past me, calling out her Purugly. The cat pokemon easily broke through the wall of ice as her trainer immediately started to tell everyone to pack up.

Ninetails and I exchanged quick looks. That seemed to be the end of things here. I decided to stay for a while, searching the area but unfortunately there wasn't anything of particular use. I thought back to the conversation I just had, realising that Mars was a little too quick to give way when the situation was reversed.

At that, I made my way out of the now empty mine with the ice fox by my side. We stood at the mouth of the cave and I could see the two dragon pokemon circling the air in the distance. They were near to the coast and I assumed that they were safe as Dragonite hadn't contacted me.

I took off into the forest, following the pokemon from the skies. Ninetails returned to her pokeball, not too comfortable with the temperate climate of the island. Surprisingly, there were very few wild pokemon, even though the sun had just past its peak.

After a while, I arrived at a clearing near to the shore. Under the shade of the treeline, a few tents had been pitched. I could see a few people in the distance, each with pokemon by their sides. On the rocky coast, I could see a fairly large boat anchored to the pier.

Slowly, I stepped out from the treeline onto the rocky beach. The crunching of pebbles beneath my feet was enough to alert two people who appeared to be posted as guards. They quickly reached for their pokeballs but once they recognised my face, they eased up.

"Aaron! So good of you to join us."

Riley's familiar voice caught my ear. I turned to my right and sure enough, there he was. His partner, Lucario, was stood to his side, eagerly watching me.

"If I could have you for a moment, we've got a lot to talk about."