21 | a little tequila

Start from the beginning

Cassidy pokes my thigh hiding under my duvet, "What you thinking 'bout, boo?"

Boo. I can't help the small giggle that escapes me as I think about Case calling me that just hours ago.

"Hmm," Frankie hums in thought, "You thinking' bout white boy, ain't you?"

Monique perks up and gasps, her pregnant belly jumping slightly too, "Tell me more about him."

Before I can say anything, Cass jumps in, "He's foine."

"Tall." Frankie adds.

"Blond."

The two just go back and forth describing the man currently on my mind, a smile growing on my face in the process.

"Long hair."

"Sleeve of tattoos."

"Gotta fat ass." Frankie growls, making me and Mo burst out laughing.

I shake my head and stuff another bite of taco in my mouth, "Y'all so annoying." I say with a full mouth. I appreciate them putting a smile on my face but I can't help the melancholic feeling in my heart. I know I'm not going to just recover overnight after seeing my abuser for the first time in eleven years, but this is a start.

Somewhat.

All that's missing is Sky and a hug from a certain someone.

And maybe a little tequila.

Now that my mother and I have arrived at my apartment, I grab her bags and bring them to the bed upstairs before grabbing myself a blanket and pillow for the couch downstairs

After we get things settled down, we find ourselves in the kitchen, indulging in tea and donuts that we picked up from some 24/7 donut shop down the road.

"So tell me more about Eliana." She requests, eyeing me carefully.

I sip my hot tea and arch a brow, "What do you wanna know?"

"Do you see yourself settling down with her?"

I don't want to give myself false hope, but I really do — well, that's if she even wants me in the same way. She's beautiful, funny, caring, supportive. And she's genuine.

She unapologetically herself and doesn't take bullshit. Especially mine.

I blink, "Maybe. Whatever she's comfortable with."

"When are you gonna ask her out?"

I scoff out a laugh, "Ma, please don't play matchmaker —"

"I'm not," She says defensively, "Promise."

"I'm not going to ask her out until I'm sure she feels the same way about me. I just don't want her to feel —"

"Uncomfortable." She finishes and smiles, "I'm glad I raised my son to respect boundaries. God forbid you turn out to be like your dad." At the mention, I send her a look only for her to avoid my gaze and sip her tea again.

I prop my elbow up on the counter in thought, "What are you gonna do about him?"

She shrugs and pokes out her bottom lip, "Divorce, new job, new place, move on."

I huff, "You think it's gonna be that easy?"

She shakes her head, "Nope. But we can always try."

jo and ana deserve the world 🥺

and no, i still haven't finished a single assignment